Oxalic Treatment and Timing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, and did you leave the mesh floor open.

I was advised not to close off floor, because have no top ventilation. But oddly before treating with MAQS, on inspection with sticky board, had no mites, before of after treatment!

(MAQS certainly killed a few bees, in the process, which I was expecting, from other's that had reported a few dead on 1st/2nd day of treatment!)

Which I never belived I had a colony with no mites! in Dec/Jan, there were 3 a day!

I expect some phoretic mites were killed at time of treatment, but you would of course not see them with no slide in, most mites in brood, but the weather was cool, so with open floor poor kill of any mites in sealed brood due to vapour being dumped out through the open mesh, instead of pooling for a better kill rate, effective treatment only lasts three days.

Sounds like you have it sorted now though.

Last edited:
It was always my plan to treat Dec or Jan had second thoughts for a while but we worth it. Lesson Learned.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Treated for Varroah last week with the oxalic. Have had thousands of mites dropping. the inspection board is covered. four or five every square cm. Had treated with strips in late august so wasn't expecting such a dramatic mite drop. just glad they are no longer on the bees.

Apistan, there was increased mite drop at the time and I thought I had got rid of most of the mites.

Apistan, there was increased mite drop at the time and I thought I had got rid of most of the mites.

Sam Clawson up at Newforge said we had resistant mites here in NI for couple of years, maybe best rethink your treatments, thymol based in Autumn is good, but at least your Oxalic is knocking them down atm

My understanding (but I'm not up to date) is that most beeks no longer use Apistan because of resistance, though it is possible to test to see if your mites are sensitive to this miticide. Things could be different on your isle, but I am suspicious that your Apistan didn't work.

Well this as definitely my last time using them, Didn't dust with icing sugar this year as I have in previous, i noticed a difference. I am going to dust with the icing sugar and also do some drone culling. Will monitor mite drop more closely this year too. I want to combine chemical treatments with physical ones to reduce the risk of resistance.

My understanding (but I'm not up to date) is that most beeks no longer use Apistan because of resistance

Resistant twelve years ago here, best thing that ever happened.

Last edited:
Resistant twelve years ago here, best thing that ever happened.

Yes, I suppose so - but could it be that your local mites are once again sensitive so maybe Apistan OK every few years - but, like you, I would be reluctant to use the stuff again.

Two hives I trickled with OA with last Saturday have shown a massive 500+ drop although I treated both hives properly with Apiguard last Autumn.....during which there was a minimal drop post treatment.

Surely this must indicate that my local mites are resistant to Thymol?

Hivemaker obviously similar thinks otherwise as he has deleted posts on another thread!

Richard how did you have the hives set up for the thymol treatments and the dates of treatment. Also what was the drop during thymol.

Latest posts

Back