Oxalic time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Oxalic time & the weather like spring, this I haven't experienced before so I'm gonna ask what everybody else is doing or going to do concerning treating with OA.

The bees today were bringing in pollen & clearly loving the weather.

Who's had experience of this kind of situation before weather wise & did you just treat being warm or not?

Ta

Who's had experience of this kind of situation before weather wise & did you just treat being warm or not?

As posted on another thread, second time in 4 years, I think. Don't intend to dribble oxalic over them any more than the last time, and the times in between.

RAB

Weather patterns are changing and changeable or maybe both!
Oxallic time can not be fixed in the calender
I will/ maybe/possibly be using Auntie's vaporiser when the time is right.. I will not be subjecting the mite infested ladies to a sticky mess of syrup laced with any acid!

Maybe you could invite me round when you do your vapourising Dave?

See how it works.

As posted on another thread, second time in 4 years, I think. Don't intend to dribble oxalic over them any more than the last time, and the times in between.

RAB[/QUOTE]

Good stuff

Can you link to the thread?

I thought it was an interesting question anyway lol

Last edited:

I thought it was an interesting question anyway lol

Very interesting question Red Bee.
I intend to pull a few brood frames to assess the brood situation on the next warmish, dry day that I'm off work ( even if its Christmas ! ) and act accordingly i.e. no brood = drizzle 5mm per seam, brood = hold fire untill early next year, then check again ( or if it gets to mid Jan, treat anyway )

Who has experience? That needs no experience more than you have.

Last winter was difficult. Many beekeepers lost an opportunity when half metre snow covered the hives too early. It was me too about 30% of hives. I gove trickling in April when snow melted enough.

Now we have all kind of weathers. Sun, rain cats&dogs, storm, calm, near zero C. No snow on ground.
Now I trickled 2 months ago when I saw that they have not brood.

Very interesting question Red Bee.
I intend to pull a few brood frames to assess the brood situation on the next warmish, dry day that I'm off work ( even if its Christmas ! ) and act accordingly i.e. no brood = drizzle 5mm per seam, brood = hold fire untill early next year, then check again ( or if it gets to mid Jan, treat anyway )

Thanks MBC, sounds like the way to go this winter. All part of the learning experience!

I know it is a little warm now, but the shoirtest day is now past and I am off betwee Christmas and New Year. So, for me, thst is when I wil use oxalic on all my hives.

Depending on what happens after that, I may well need to use some other IPM method in late March or April.

Happy Christmas all!!

Meg XXX

Latest posts

Back