Oxalic time........on its way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arfermo

Odd. I don't open mine up for oxalic!!!!!

how do you treat them without lifting off the crownboard?

r
Same as Icanhopit. Evaporate!!!! Takes a little longer but a great deal less intrusive and, in my, case, because I do it from below the OMF, I don't even fry(or chill/freeze) any bees.

Afermo

Hmmm...good point and food for thought...but with only a couple of hives the cost of an evaporater is probably prohibitive

richard

thanks, so at least Santa's reindeer should have snow!

We don't expect weather like that until January but last night's unusually hard (for us) frost was a warning.

(Recently been reading about the Battle for Stalingrad which puts things into perspective!)

Same as Icanhopit. Evaporate!!!! Takes a little longer but a great deal less intrusive and, in my, case, because I do it from below the OMF, I don't even fry(or chill/freeze) any bees.

?Arfermo... do you have any problem with oxallic sublimating onto the metal OMF ?

Don't fancy frying my Pollyhives as I can not simply push wand into entrance.

thanks, so at least Santa's reindeer should have snow!

In the arm of Finland it is now -29C.
Yes, it is winter now.

http://www2.liikennevirasto.fi/alk/kelikamerat/kamera-C1453102.html

kaamos3.jpg

Last edited:
When the snow melts in spring are there many bodies found of drunks that never made it home?

cold snap here atm, +5oC atm (10.30 pm) :( role on summer

When the snow melts in spring are there many bodies found of drunks that never made it home?

No. Wolves ate them at same night. It is hard job to gather bones together and difficult to find pairs to bones.
If a guy is very drunk, wolf becomes drunk too. Those go under car easily.

Wolves on pub ground

Link.aspx

Last edited:
?Arfermo... do you have any problem with oxallic sublimating onto the metal OMF ?

Don't fancy frying my Pollyhives as I can not simply push wand into entrance.

No probs with metal contact. Forgot to mention that, although trickling means opening up and cooling the cluster, my evaporation method from under the OMF not only doesn't fry any bees but the heat from the evaporator warms the cluster right where they want it - up their bums!!! Wouldn't you?

Mine's a Varrox that I got S/H from a beek who had 40 - 50 hives who found it a problem. So would I for that number - but half a dozen not so bad on a m/cycle 12 v battery is OK - 15 mins or less each but with the advantages I mention above, plus the fact that the gas gets them all quickly. The Varrox from Thxxx nes costs an arm and a leg but there is a cheaper alternative from Canada which can be found by googling.

Stupid!, that method, nothing personal

Not so stupid at all when a Varrox costs me next to nothing even when virtually new and when I have many fewer hives than I think you have !!!! Stupid not buy it at the price it was offered imho.

No probs with metal contact. Forgot to mention that, although trickling means opening up and cooling the cluster, .

It does not cool the cluster. Cluster heats itself up in 30 seconds and is ready to fight.

The Varrox from Thxxx nes costs an arm and a leg but there is a cheaper alternative from Canada which can be found by googling.

Or make your own, based around a ceramic soldering iron element - it ain't exactly rocket science.

LJ

It does not cool the cluster. Cluster heats itself up in 30 seconds and is ready to fight.

Could have sworn that in a thread a few weeks ago you said just listening to the bees disturbed them and it took them ages to get back up to heat. So listening is bad but pouring/ trickling acid on them and they are fine again in 30 secs!
Mmmmm.

Latest posts

Back