Overwintering

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks polyhive, you don't use poly by any chance do you? ;)

I was a bit miserable after we were told our proper hive wouldn't be ready and they would have to see out winter in the one we have now. I thought it would be nowhere near warm enough. I am a happy bee now :D We kept the solid floor in for a few weeks after putting them in as the original 5 frames, and as a result, she laid right up to the edges of the frames. They now have an OMF, we put in about 2 weeks ago. I just worry that they wouldn't see spring. Firstly, because I am attached to them now, they are the first bees I've ever been happy to be around and they taught me not to fear them, and secondly, because we have spent all the grant money and wouldn't be able to afford any more.

If ply is warmer, why don't more people use it? Why use cedar then?

If ply is warmer, why don't more people use it? Why use cedar then?

Lots of reasons.

Cedar was around long before ply.

Ply is heavy. Cedar is much less dense.

Ply has glues in it that could be considered as 'not good'. Cedar is totally natural.

Ply needs surfce treating regularly. Cedar will likely last thirty years with no treatment!

If ply has a better 'U' value, I doubt it would be by much, so a marginal factor.

Ply is impervious. Cedar will 'breathe'.

Hives were traditionally jointed. Can't 'traditionally' make joints with ply.

Ply is difficult to repair one it starts to de-laminate. Cedar doesn't de-laminate.

Until carbide tooling came along, ply was not a favourite with woodworkers!

If you want 'warmer' go poly. A lot have done so.

Obviously missed a few. But that may set you thinking. The biggest factors are, I would think, longevity and weight.

Regards, RAB

Plywood hives gives you unsightly muscles is the reason why. They are considerably heavier than cedar.

From lightest to heaviest is polystyrene, cedar, pine and plywood.

If you make your own, it's difficult to source cedar in your local B&Q on a Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Thanks Rab, so for a 6 months or so, this ply hive will be fine? There are a few things that need doing to the proper hive, we are having an observation window fitted plus a couple of other ideas, which is why, I am told, it won't be ready and we will have to settle them in this one for now. Thanks for the info

Latest posts

Back