Overwintering Large Colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recyclotron

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two of my colonies have grown and are now on double brood boxes. I need to work out how much honey to leave on them over winter. I am thinking that they will probably have a decent amount in the brood chamber, and I should leave a full super for them as well. I really want to avoid inspecting the brood at the moment as they seem to be getting very agitated during honey harvesting.

So for a colony on double brood boxes how many supers of honey would you expect to leave? none, one or two (or more!).

None.
Double brood provides lots of storage space.

You just have to make sure they use it.

None.
Double brood provides lots of storage space.

You just have to make sure they use it.

insulation will help keep them mobile during the winter so they dont get isolated from their food.
Heresy alert
Clustering should be optional for the bees in this climate.

None. Even Italians will not need that much.

A large colony in summer does not automatically mean a large colony in winter. Depends of the strain of bee.

Generally 20kg or 40lb of stores is reckoned sufficient (in the past half that figure was quoted). Double brood is heaps.

I'm with Itma and heebee.
Double brood will be absolutely fine. If they collect ivy, feeding needs should be minimal.
Cazza

I have douple broods, or better say tripla.o
I extract all honey which is not in brood frames. So hive gets only 5 kg honey.

But important is to give all pollen frames to the hive. ÅPollen has all other nutritients than energy.

I feed the hives full then with sugar. No proplems in our 8 months long bee winter.

Even if you have douple brood, it may overwinter in one box. You see it at the late of September when you start to feed them.

Thanks for the replies. I will take your advice and harvest more honey than I anticipated, also appreciate the suggestion about insulation.
Bernie

Extract honey off that colony can make brood during next two months. It is half year to winter.

Back