Over wintering a nucleus.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingevader

Field Bee
Reaction score
I'm more than happy to admit that I am still a novice with regards to some aspects of beekeeping, so I've posted this here.
We've never had to over winter a nuc before.
There's always been enough kit (or friends) for splits or swarms and we've never intended to go further than 4-5 colonies in school anyway.
It's seemed to be a good year for swarms in town and after filling any empty kit and giving some away, we've ended up with a nucleus of bees which we'll keep as an insurance policy for the spring.
I've read around and as usual, advice varies.
The two main question regard feeding and treatment.
Some would suggest that as a swarm from this year, if they've built up well, they shouldn't need either.
As a cautious fellow, I'm considering making a smaller eke to fit, should we need to.
What do you think?

No harm in wintering a nuc but if they are a decent size now there is no reason they should not be filling a single brood by the time winter arrives. You can donate a frame of sealed brood from another hive, you can split the brood and force the queen to lay it up and keep a slow steady feed little and often on the whole time. Treat it’s daft not to why let any level of varroa exist pass on viruses when you can reduce the stress on winter bees.

Last edited:
Treat, yes - if apiguard, half a tray is ample so just scoop out half for the first treatment and deposit on a piece of card or whatever on top of the top bars then seal up the remaider in the tray with plenty of cling film.
I'd also feed syrup, then stand by with some fondant for the new year.
You don't say what kind of nuc it is. I've overwintered plenty in bog standard 10mm plywood five and six frame nucs before now. I always overwinter nucs now in Maisies poly nucs which I feed in September/October then leave the feeder on as extra insulation overwinter. I usually end up taking out a frame of leftover stores to make room in the spring.

With a nuc just make sure you have a fall back position ready so you can feed fondant should they need it

Ok, thanks all.
No kit to do anything else.
It's a bog standard poly nuc that the last colony we bought some years ago came in.
So an eke and treat and possibly feed in the spring.
Ta.

Some would suggest that as a swarm from this year, if they've built up well, they shouldn't need either.

I would do both, unless they have plenty of stores in September.

As a cautious fellow, I'm considering making a smaller eke to fit, should we need to.
What do you think?

If you treat with hivemakers thymol mixture (see sticky post) on tissue paper (I use kitchen roll) laid across the tops of frames then you don't need an eke. Same if you treat with plastic strips e.g. Apivar. You can feed syrup if needed to get them heavy before winter, so no need for the eke IMO.

Mine has four frames of brood and two stores. I have a box stored on top with six frames of honey and pollen and this second tier is going on this weekend, feeder on top ready for use.

My Payne’s nuc on three frames of brood now has a super on top and I’m feeding.

Mine has four frames of brood and two stores. I have a box stored on top with six frames of honey and pollen and this second tier is going on this weekend, feeder on top ready for use.

No kit to do anything else.

so no need for the eke IMO.

The poly has no head space to speak of, I'll make an eke. ;)

Last edited:
Don’t plan not to feed, check them and keep checking if you pack them up and don’t monitor for weight you are asking for trouble!!

Latest posts

Back