OSR - how far will they fly for it?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SireeDubs

House Bee
Reaction score
Nr Exeter (originally from Gogledd Cymru)
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + nucs
I'm in a very rural location and plenty of forage on and next to my land (orchard, wild flowers etc). For the first time, there's a field of OSR about a mile away. The bees have almost filled a super, but I'm wondering whether it's OSR.
1. How far will they fly for it, if there's a decent food source locally?
I'll shake the frames next inspection - I understand this is relatively reliable (unsealed cells, but shouldn't drop like wildflower honey would).
2. Can I re use these frames, or will OSR taint everything and crystallise my lovely wildflower honey? Best to replace wax? Seems a shame and bit extreme...

Thanks in advance.

You cannot play the game that way. Rape honey is good when mixed to another varietes.

Give to the hive enough space/foundations that it can rear brood, it has combs to pollen, and combs to rippen honey. Drawing foundations prevents swarming.

Average foraging range is 2 km. I have seen that bees fly 4 km for rape.

I would be very satisfied if I had rape field one mile away plus wild flowers.
The colony gets from rape good boost for later yield periods.

Let the bees cap the honey, extract it in time and sell it. Handle it so that it becomes soft crystalized(stir)

Last edited:
Those bees which visit on rape, they have yellow front face. So you see how many visit on rape.

I am also interested to know if OSR speeds up crysalisation when mixed with other nectar in the comb in the super, on a hive.

Dandelion is quick to crystallize too and makes coarse gravel.

I have harvested rape honey 40 years and I really want it.
I extract it when frame is fully capped.
If something crystallize into combs, bees will clean them.

To keep hive warm prevents early crystallization.

Sure. I want all the honey I can get for the farmers market. Nice to know how long I can leave the supers without removing prematurely. I tend to leave the Ivy nectar for over wintering

Rape honey stays better inside the hive, but if you take frames off and wate for extraction, honey may crystallize in a week.

If honey combs have been wet wintered, supers will have crystalls ready and it fastens crystallation in combs. But it makes only sieving more difficult.

Sure. I want all the honey I can get for the farmers market. Nice to know how long I can leave the supers without removing prematurely. I tend to leave the Ivy nectar for over wintering

I would take off and extract as soon as they start to cap or if they have been bringing in mostly OSR it will set like concrete. I have an apiary about 3\4 mile from OSR and they are nearly filling 2 supers a week, 3 hives 150lb so far, well chuffed! After extraction it sets within a couple days.
When OSR has finished I will be making splits and building up ready for main crop
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to embracing the OSR honey now. Supers filling nicely and I'm just counting myself lucky, as it's usually a longer wait for honey than this. I shall extract and be thankful.

I have to add that I'm loving beekeeping, but having been to war on a number of occasions in my previous career, war is easier and, at times, slightly less stressful!

Thanks for discussion.

Thank you both.

A good compact camera with a macro option is all you need.
Nothing fancy as it always ends up with propolis on it!

Why not?

Dealing with OSR is just like anything else in beekeeping.
It takes some thought and planning and practice but then becomes a lot easier.

OSR provides not only the possibility of a good early spring crop but also helps build colonies massively before the Summer flow starts.
The only downsides is managing the colony so that it stays large and doesn't swarm.

Or alternatively (as I have done) use the energy/nectar from the OSR flow for the bees to draw out foundation. Nothing against OSR, as I am surrounded by it, I just want to have supers ready for the main flow later as it's my first year too.

I have a couple of hives on a south-facing slope opposite fields and fields of OSR. Sadly thanks to the weather there's very little flying going on. It's been in flower easily since mid-April and there's no sign of it going over at all.

James

Latest posts

Back