Orange pollen? Lime or Ivy....?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably here too - as a first year beekeeper I'm too panicked to look at the plants; all my time is spent try to plan for the next imagined crisis :p

Next year I'm hoping the anxiety abates and I can start to actually look and think about what's going on beyond the hive itself.

I did wonder if it might be buddleia as I noticed some round our way with a lot of bees on and very orange centers to the flowers.

It's most likely Dahlia as Millet suggested first, lots grown in allotments. You will know when it's Ivy when it is this colour --:) and it stinks ;)

Probably here too - as a first year beekeeper I'm too panicked to look at the plants; all my time is spent try to plan for the next imagined crisis :p

Next year I'm hoping the anxiety abates and I can start to actually look and think about what's going on beyond the hive itself.

I did wonder if it might be buddleia as I noticed some round our way with a lot of bees on and very orange centers to the flowers.

Persevere fellow beginner. I'm on year 4 - Though blind fear has left me, anxiety never will, it is however curiosity, intrigue and puzzlement who are now curious bed fellows. I think the weather has stimulated my further investigations in the returning spoils of local fauna. I am sure if you stay with this haunting hobby your mind will venture 'outward' as it were.

Oh and do allow the crises to take you: You soon realise the results are never as catastrophic as you imagine them to be. Like all worthy things, keeping bees is just a load of bollocks and should not be taken seriously in the slightest.

Last edited:
Unless you are buying equipment you can not think ahead with bees.. each week will present you with a different goal/problem that you will have to deal with next week (or tomorrow)... just enjoy what you are doing and go with the flow...;)

I'm far too uptight to go with the flow - hoping that if I'm still beekeeping 25 years down the line, I might have learnt to chill out a bit!

As for equipment, well, there's a sale day in a couple of months so I can at least do the equipment planning thing :rofl:

Persevere fellow beginner. I'm on year 4 - Though blind fear has left me, anxiety never will, it is however curiosity, intrigue and puzzlement who are now curious bed fellows. I think the weather has stimulated my further investigations in the returning spoils of local fauna. I am sure if you stay with this haunting hobby your mind will venture 'outward' as it were.

Oh and do allow the crises to take you: You soon realise the results are never as catastrophic as you imagine them to be. Like all worthy things, keeping bees is just a load of bollocks and should not be taken seriously in the slightest.

I have the curiosity, intrigue and puzzlement too, they need to assert themselves a little more over the anxiety!

Actually, interesting you mention the whole 'outward' thing - I find the process of tending / handling the bees very similar to meditation at present, quite 'inward'; my whole attention is total focussed in 'the now' and I find it very good for my soul. The outward thing will happen, I'm sure!

Can you tell I've had a drink? :rofl:

I find the process of tending / handling the bees very similar to meditation at present, quite 'inward'; my whole attention is total focussed in 'the now' and I find it very good for my soul. The outward thing will happen, I'm sure!

Reads more like you had a smoke ......:sifone:
;)

I was only saying to my daughter today that it is almost a zen like experience. Very calming relaxing and puts you in a mindful state.

I was only saying to my daughter today that it is almost a zen like experience. Very calming relaxing and puts you in a mindful state.
Its the reason i started bee keeping. You have to connect with the bees and what you are doing, moment to moment. Contrarily, I crashed in my hives in the early days with no readiness, in a rush, and got a face like Picasso as reward.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I have the curiosity, intrigue and puzzlement too, they need to assert themselves a little more over the anxiety!

Actually, interesting you mention the whole 'outward' thing - I find the process of tending / handling the bees very similar to meditation at present, quite 'inward'; my whole attention is total focussed in 'the now' and I find it very good for my soul. The outward thing will happen, I'm sure!

As they say at Zen campfires: "you put your in attention in, your out attention out, in, out, in out, you shake it all about." Etc

One hive is bringing so much of the orange stuff its being "spilled" on the landing board and even the grass....
140ab4020d96c7806a7a99e48de343d3.jpg
1dd67582fd227ad12aedb603170be250.jpg

One hive is bringing so much of the orange stuff its being "spilled" on the landing board and even the grass....

Only one hive of 6 though....anything that causes "clumsy, spilling" bees?

It's coming in here too. Definitely not lime or ivy or dahlia. Tons of the stuff!
E

Im betting on hawksbeard....i seem to be getting some nectar action too

Latest posts

Back