Orange pollen? Lime or Ivy....?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was only saying to my daughter today that it is almost a zen like experience. Very calming relaxing and puts you in a mindful state.

One of the reasons beekeeping has been used as therapy for ultra violent offenders( just try losing your rag with a beehive, a mistake you won't make rwice),PTSD and ADHD.
Beekeeping is good head space !

Is evening primrose stringy pollen?

Or am I thinking of something else?

Yes evening primrose has Y shaped pollen grains that often form garlands hanging from the legs of the departing foragers !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Here's another candidate for your mystery pollen. I'm afraid I don't know what it's called but everyone's gardens round here are riddled with it. We don't get many honey bees here but the bumbles go nuts for it! I often see a couple of dozen bumbles of all varieties working them on my front lawn. I say we don't get many honey bees, but today I spotted one right in front of my feet working it like crazy. She was covered all over her thorax, pollen baskets packed, with pollen that wasn't quite orange but needed in that direction. Very striking, almost florescent.

It's a bit smaller than dandelions, single headed flower on a thin stem, short leathery leaves. Flowers from late spring until late autumn.

Attachments

• DSCF1284.JPG
    DSCF1284.JPG
    603.8 KB · Views: 25
Well whatever it is, the Bees just go nuts for it. I have no idea whether it produces nectar or whether it's just pollen. Flowers open in the morning but close up around 3pm. I've suffered very snooty looks from neighbours for not cutting my lawn as often as they do. :icon_204-2: Today I had to bite the bullet and cut it all down as it had been over a month. But the stuff will be back in a few days and the bumbles will be back! :D

Well whatever it is, the Bees just go nuts for it. I have no idea whether it produces nectar or whether it's just pollen. Flowers open in the morning but close up around 3pm. I've suffered very snooty looks from neighbours for not cutting my lawn as often as they do. :icon_204-2: Today I had to bite the bullet and cut it all down as it had been over a month. But the stuff will be back in a few days and the bumbles will be back! :D

Haha I have left the patch of it in our lawn uncut, as there's not many other species in flower at the moment where we are.

Latest posts

Back