Oops!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psafloyd

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=590

Extracting the last couple of supers last night and when draining, tipped the bucket over and handle hit a hard object and snapped. Bugger! :hairpull:

Actually, quite old and alloy (judging by the insides) looks like mazak but probably something a little harder and so probably was already fatigued given where the break happened.

Necessity being the mother of invention, I attached my cheap Chinese drill onto the spindle and finished the job. Wasn't too hard once I spun the cage to get it going.

Anyone know if I might replace this handle or know someone tho might fashion me a new one from s/steel?

The cycle pedal idea is brilliant :)
If you have a forge near you psafloyd they can probably come up with something?

The cycle pedal idea is brilliant :)
If you have a forge near you psafloyd they can probably come up with something?

A forge? In Ilford?

Thanks, Lumi, I'll find out. There must be someone as there will be farriers about for the horsey set...

Cycle pedal arm is a good idea. But would I have to drill a hole for grub screw or similar, as surely the shaft for a bicycle is going to be considerably broader than my spindle?

I really don't know, as I have only recently obtained my first bike.

Ah no, you want a blacksmith, not a farrier - farriers usually just shoe horses :)

Ah no, you want a blacksmith, not a farrier - farriers usually just shoe horses :)

No, I know, and are often mobile, but they might be able to put me in touch with your actual smithy.

Cycle pedal arm is a good idea. But would I have to drill a hole for grub screw or similar, as surely the shaft for a bicycle is going to be considerably broader than my spindle?

I really don't know, as I have only recently obtained my first bike.

Bicycle pedal shafts are usually held in place by a locking pin that stops the pedal arm turning on the shaft so theres a hole there already but it will, probably be off centre. The hole for the shaft is going to be much bigger than your extractor spindle so it's going to need a sleeve. It's a good idea but I think the engineering problems are going to be difficult to overcome ....

If the shaft on the extractor is round I would be tempted to file it to a square or an octagon and find a suitably sized socket spanner that would fit on the end - you then have lots of inexpensive options to make a handle using the tommy bar socket insert from a socket set.

Flat bar, suitable sized nut (or anything suitable) welded near to one end and a hole drilled through the nut and bar for the spindle. Threaded hole in the nut for a grub screw to secure the handle to shaft. Drill hole at other end for attachment of handle.

No real need for stainless steel - no food contact.

Any metal fabrication shop could do it if you don't have the kit/skills/whatever.

Alternatively check out suppliers for spare parts, or improvise by buying an old mincer or similar from a boot sale. Even buying a speed reducer for your drill might make it a permanent electificated jobbie!

RAB

or fish the two pieces back together - two strips of metal one on each side of the handle and four jubilee clips (just to make sure) - not very pretty but it'll do the job

Ahhh... that reminds me of the Knife Sharpening Man who used to come round every six months or so on his bike .. it had a grinding wheel which he could use by putting the bike up on its stand and pedalling ... he used to sharpen scissors as well ... but - he also used to re-rivet handles on cooking utensils and put rivets and staples onto broken crockery.

Make do and mend .... almost a lost art !

After the war my grandfather worked as stores man for Cyc Arc (later Crompton Parkinsons) He described one of the lads who worked there as 'an artist in Araldite' many a pair of spectacles I saw with evidence of his handiwork with whole peices being re-engineered in araldite.
Any bespoke metal tool in the valley was bound to be a cyc-arc special. from garden gates, rakes and the handy little tool for making 'pele' (little fuel briquettes made by mixing small coal and dust with clay or later cement) they looked very much like the tools you get now for making cut comb although they were usually round with a hole in the middle for facilitating drying.
I still have my cyc-ark garden rake - all steel with stainless steel tines. All my grandfather's runner bean poles were metal rods as well!!

AftI still have my cyc-ark garden rake - all steel with stainless steel tines. All my grandfather's runner bean poles were metal rods as well!!

My Grandfather was a builder by trade and he was a great one for making the sort of tools you are talking about .. I have a rake of his which is a strip of metal with what is left of 6" nails inserted in it with another strip over the top of the heads to keep them in place ... must be at least 60 years old and still going strong ! Rivets to hold the strips together and the handle cone is riveted onto the rake head as well.

I remember sitting watching him straighten out clout (cut) nails he had taken out of floor boards to re-use them -two belts with a ball pane hammer on the edge of an old blacksmith's anvil.

He had a cobbler's Last and put new soles on his boots ... in those days you could buy new leather soles from the local hardware shop !

Perhaps we have much to learn from some of these recycling ways ? Certainly a lot less went to landfill in those days !

Sorry :offtopic: :gnorsi:

Flat bar, suitable sized nut (or anything suitable) welded near to one end and a hole drilled through the nut and bar for the spindle. Threaded hole in the nut for a grub screw to secure the handle to shaft. Drill hole at other end for attachment of handle.

No real need for stainless steel - no food contact.

Any metal fabrication shop could do it if you don't have the kit/skills/whatever.

Alternatively check out suppliers for spare parts, or improvise by buying an old mincer or similar from a boot sale. Even buying a speed reducer for your drill might make it a permanent electificated jobbie!

RAB

Speed reducer –*is this just a gearing system, RAB?

If you want to send it to me I will weld it for you, the green paint will have to be ground away so you will have to repaint it

Speed reducer –*is this just a gearing system, RAB?__________________

Yes, they are usually an epicyclc reducer or increaser, dependent on which way round they are fitted.

RAB

Latest posts

Back