OOOps nearly a disaster!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well I havent done a proper check of my hives yet this year apart from one quick flick through month back when we had a really hot day. planned to do it soon as cold easterly droped and I wasnt stuck in a field catching moles!

I was just about to go and do said moles yesturday when I did my usual walk past and talk to the girls before heading out, one of the 3 looked very active and in the blind panic that it may be about to swarm I went to the van and said stuff the moles and got my bee gear on.

First hive checked and all ok good stores and fresh stuff loads of brood etc spotted queen so think they were just running a bit low on space so put on a super.
Well smoker was still smoking so thought i might as well nip through the other two a bit quick.

Second hive good but not as advanced as first but all ok. spotted queen all ok

third hive same as second but no sign of queen, strange she was marked and not enough bees that I shouldnt have been able to spot her. . . ho hum dont panic i hear my teacher saying! I had seen upright eggs so she was there within the last 24hrs. will look in a week i thought and reached for the crown board to close up hive. Put on but something had caught my eye when I went to pick up board. looked back onto grass 3ft away and saw a spot of blue :banghead: some silly twit hadnt looked under the crown board when she took it off! thank goodness she was marked else I may not have spotted her.!!
Just thought people might like to have a giggle at my stupidity!:biggrinjester: plus i may save someone elses bacon!

some silly twit hadnt looked under the crown board when she took it off! thank goodness she was marked else I may not have spotted her.

Well done milkermel! Although next time, on inspection, place the crownboard on top of the removed roof... That way you won't loose HM in the grass!

Ben P

I was helping a friend a couple of years ago with his colonies in Autumn, they were understandably a little defensive considering the weather wasn't ideal. Whilst inspecting the hive we quickly established there was no eggs, larvae and no sealed worker brood only the odd sealed drone brood. Fearing the worse we closed the hive whilst we debated the best course of action. After a few minutes we could hear a strange buzzing noise, lower in pitch but louder than a normal bee. The sound was circling above us but we couldn't see what it was as so many bees were in the air.

We decided to move on to inspect the next hive with the intention of combining the two hives. As my friend bent over to place the roof on the floor we could hear this odd buzzing again and we watched the queen land on the front of the hive and walk calmly inside. A week later she was laying and they came through winter without a problem.

:willy_nilly:

we** done MM) , *eyboard gone squat again, no crumbs this time(

Latest posts

Back