One way to collect a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Saw this on YouTube
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jliuw-OWxSQ[/ame]
:willy_nilly:

What a fantastic video!

(I must say, I don't care how experienced anyone is with bees, I would think it pretty irresponsible to collect a swarm that way bare-handed and without a suit! But hey, what do I know, I'm a beginner)

Unconventional.... but impressive!

What a refreshing change seeing an American being so gentle with bees- they are not all the sort who heave unsealed colonies onto lorries to take to the almond crops etc. And the bees only got restless and flying when he guffed smoke... But how did he find that queen... SO jealous of that talent...Excellent

I must say, I don't care how experienced anyone is with bees, I would think it pretty irresponsible to collect a swarm that way bare-handed and without a suit!

My understanding is that as the bees have no honey to protect that they are unlikely to sting anyway......

I wonder how long it took him - you can see the time delay bits on the video. Bet the lady driver was frothing at the mouth by the end of it :D

The frames, did they have plastic foundation? You could see right through them.
Wonderful how he found the queen

Last edited:
Swarms are LESS likely to sting than a normal colony but some have been hanging up for a day or three and are not so good humoured.

Beware. Always wear protection. Because as sure as eggs the time you don't will be the one you seriously regret.

Remember too that the climate he is operating in is a lot warmer than ours and bees like being warm. Just because it is like that in the States has nothing to do with how it is here. Beware.

PH

Last edited:
The frames, did they have plastic foundation? You could see right through them.

Probably Perco foundation. You can normally get it in white or black and it can be used in wooden frames although they also make one piece plastic frames as well. The latter come in all different colours from various manufacturers - blue, red, yellow etc. The colours are probably more of an attractant to the purchaser than anything else although there are various theories about the bees' preference for white or black in the brood chamber or super and which is best where. I've only ever used black, mostly on the assumption the inside of a hive is dark. White also shows the dirt!

Not one to copy at home. You don't know the temper of the bees, and they could easily spoil your day. A small dustpan and a soft brush would have been much quicker for gathering the bees.

.....collect a swarm

Wonderful. I'd love to be able to hold a handful of bees like that.

Did you notice how gentle he was though, it was a good insight of how to move your hands on inspections!:)

Latest posts

Back