One Hive Advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
Currently I am coming up to my first year as a beekeeper looking after one hive. I was planning to purchase a second hive this year to home a second colony.

However, with a new baby and time constraints with work, I have decided to postpone the second hive until next year.

So advice needed...
With just owning one hive, is my main concern swarming? Am I right that I do not wish my only colony to swarm as I would lose half the colony/resources?

Unfortunately I missed the local BKA Meeting on swarming as I was on holiday out of the country. I really would like to continue to do well with my only colony so any advice for a beginner would be grateful.

For example I have a solid floor, would an open mesh floor be better?

Tips and advice appreciated.

Regards
Chris G

I'd say have two hives. It makes sense, if only to manipulate, confirm you are queen right etc.

Last edited:
My first year was on one colony...but I spent the whole time wishing I had two - if you can change...DO!

If the colonies were to be kept together the extra time needed for looking after two colonies is fairly minimal (bee suit, smoker lighting, doing repetitive manipulations such as feeding or varroa treatments are all needed for a single hive or multiples). The advantages are relatively huge - less worrying that your colony may go queenless (and the trouble of putting it queen-right), losing a colony over the winter, etc.

But if that is your decision, why should we try to change your mind!

Of course with one or two hives it means there is a need for extra kit to guard against swarming, but it need not be so robust as the over-wintering kit.

The effects of swaming are certainly the loss of honey crop and foraging force lost as the swarm departs. But there is the loss of a further month, or more, while the new queen emerges, mates, lays and new bees start to emerge. Not good if you want a good harvest. Might be good for varroa control, but that is controllable by other means anyway.

Regarding solid floors - OMFs are better IMO, but not all would agree, although I am confident I am in the majority on that one!

Biggest tip is to keep up with these threads on the forum. Presumably you are a member of your local BKA or have a mentor or buddy so that problems arising need not be so difficult to overcome. Read lots of books. Help the bees, not hinder them.

Enough to get started with?

Regards, RAB

Thanks for Advice

Hi for all the responses,

Part of me realises that two is better than one and to be honest is not that much difference in regards to time, so I think I will look at a second purchase.

Thanks again
Chris

Tbh I was a first year one hive man myself and wasn't sure about two.

But thanks wholly to this good, generous spirited, group of invisible advisors I learnt two was right.

When I suffered supersedure (most likely) I recovered my composure with the test frame. Without that comforting capability then I would have suffered more angst, way more, than I needed.

Now I have 4 sets of kit but will use this to learn about artificial swarms this year. Another small step for mankind, another giant leap for Sam. My aim is to stick at 2 hives as my lifestyle works against my going for more. If in a few years I have learned how to maintain two healthy hives without regular bouts of confusion and chaos then I will.be very happy. Very happy indeed.

All the best for the new season (I know it 'began' before winter?!?),
Sam

Latest posts

Back