One example of how long it can take to get a laying queen.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
15th May: multiple QCs, some sealed, nuced the queen and left 1QC.
21st May: emerged QC seen (should have looked earlier) EQCs being taken down by the bees, all EQCs destroyed. Assume a virgin present.
16th June: no eggs, no brood, grumpy. Given a test frame.
23rd June: no EQCs on test frame but nice fat queen seen. I didn't examine the last few frames in the bottom box after I saw & marked her but no brood up to that point.
They've been a bit defensive, I hope they settle down now!
So 5½ weeks from nucing the queen to seeing a (presumably) laying queen.

Same timing here, starting the same day. Mine started laying on June 18th or 19th. The weather kept them inside for quite a few days.

15th May: multiple QCs, some sealed, nuced the queen and left 1QC.
21st May: emerged QC seen (should have looked earlier) EQCs being taken down by the bees, all EQCs destroyed. Assume a virgin present.
16th June: no eggs, no brood, grumpy. Given a test frame.
23rd June: no EQCs on test frame but nice fat queen seen. I didn't examine the last few frames in the bottom box after I saw & marked her but no brood up to that point.
They've been a bit defensive, I hope they settle down now!
So 5½ weeks from nucing the queen to seeing a (presumably) laying queen.
Difficult to understand what is happening up there.

Basics:

A new queen is ready to mate at 7 days old. It needs 1- 3 good sunny calm days to mate. Temp must be over 20C .

Then the queen lays first eggs after 10 days from birth.

People love to tell about their record queens, but 2 days here or there means nothing.

Not a laying queen yet. See how long she lasts, if indeed she comes into lay. I suspect she has had either had limited mating opportunities or was not mated in her prime, and will be superseded sooner rather than later in either eventuality. Please let us know of her outcome.

Not a laying queen yet. See how long she lasts, if indeed she comes into lay. I suspect she has had either had limited mating opportunities or was not mated in her prime, and will be superseded sooner rather than later in either eventuality. Please let us know of her outcome.
No one knows about weather, which orders mating flights.
It starts to lay 10 days after emerging if weathers are good for mating.

Latest posts

Back