Queenless???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Bit of a long story so bear with me!

Back in May I had a nuc as a result of removing the queen from a very unpleasant hive some weeks earlier.
Not wanting her genes I killed her and introduced a queen cell from a nice hive. Here's the timeline.

30th May Q killed and foil-protected QC introduced.
2nd June 3 EQCs removed. Introduced cell still sealed.
11th June introduced cell appears to have emerged, though I guess it's possible the bees opened it.
15th June Queen cups, one charged but destroyed as it was attached to two frames, no larva obvious. Given a test frame.
19th June no EQCs on test frame.
26th July no eggs or brood. Bees well behaved.
11th August no eggs or brood, given another test frame.

I'm planning to look again for EQCs in the next few days. The bees are ok to handle.

We're now 9 weeks after I saw the emerged QC. Is it possible they are queenright? I've not seen eggs or new brood at any point apart from on the test frame.

We're now 9 weeks after I saw the emerged QC. Is it possible they are queenright? I've not seen eggs or new brood at any point apart from on the test frame.
Will the colony still be viable 9 weeks down the line? Presume most of the bees are nearing the end of their lives…

Do you need the colony?
If not , wait longer or shake out?
Not really, got too many already!
However my patience broke and I've just had a quick look - EQCs being made. I know a lot of the bees are ancient but I'll see if they can make a queen & get mated as the donor frame was from my nicest colony and I want to boost her genes.

Not really, got too many already!
However my patience broke and I've just had a quick look - EQCs being made. I know a lot of the bees are ancient but I'll see if they can make a queen & get mated as the donor frame was from my nicest colony and I want to boost her genes.
You softee ! ❤️
Give them a frame of emerging brood.

I checked these again today and there's a nice big LQ an nice frames of worker brood!
Bit paler than most of mine, but I'm not complaining!
Don’t bees have a way of surprising us? What a great outcome.
Lots of feeding now?

Latest posts

Back