One cell or two?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I'm reading up on swarm control, what is everyone's opinion? When performing an artificial swarm, would you leave one nice QC or two? Or even more?! Opened or capped?

It depends on your bees. I find that with two cells the first one swarms leaving the second to set up house. Not what I wanted!

If you leave them until they are capped, chances are that your original queen has gone, too.

Thank you. This was just the type of answer I was hoping for. What people prefer to do based on experience.

There is more than one step to performing an artificial swarm and timing is everything. Which step do you mean?

To be fair, I have only had one season of swarms... but the bees tried to teach me a lot... most of which was the opposite of what it said in the beginners' books. As most of my colonies now have new queens, I am hoping for fewer swarms.

Your bees may behave differently.

If the queen cell is uncapped so I can see a nice healthy larva in there - I just leave the one - if the cells are sealed I may (just may!) leave two - depends on how lucky I feel on the day :D

There is more than one step to performing an artificial swarm and timing is everything. Which step do you mean?

The Pagden method Chris.

Thank you jd101k2000, those darned bees not reading the books. Someone wants to guide them to the library ;)

If the queen cell is uncapped so I can see a nice healthy larva in there - I just leave the one - if the cells are sealed I may (just may!) leave two - depends on how lucky I feel on the day :D

Thank you! Great idea, again, something from experience I can use.

I just leave one, two they often swarm.

Same here.
I will give Wally Shaw's modified Snelgrove (i.e. no split board) method a go this year.

The Pagden method Chris.

Pagden week 1: leave as many open cells as you like and destroy any sealed ones.

Pagden week 2: reduce to 1 sealed cell.

I wouldn't like to guess the number of times people have told me they did an artificial swarm with 1 queen cell but the bees still swarmed. The trouble is they only did week 1 and thought they had finished.

If a good natured colony, I remove all but the best one and carefully put the excess into an incubator ( about £30 on ebay). Good insurance using them in apideas.

Remove the lot
Requeen with something you know the pedigree of!

Needs to be said removing every one of the queen cells will only get them to make more queen cells... as Finman pointed out!

Yeghes da

Pagden week 1: leave as many open cells as you like and destroy any sealed ones.

Pagden week 2: reduce to 1 sealed cell.

I wouldn't like to guess the number of times people have told me they did an artificial swarm with 1 queen cell but the bees still swarmed. The trouble is they only did week 1 and thought they had finished.
Yes that is important. If you do it that way there should be no larvae young enough left for them to start queencells after you have done the second step.

I have learnt the hard way that books /people that suggest "the bees will choose the best one and tear the others down" probably refer to bees that behave in a different way to mine.

Pagden week 2: reduce to 1 sealed cell

I leave every good looking cell and let the bees sort em out, the second move reduces the population and changes the demographic enough so as not to lose any cast swarms in my experience.

the second move reduces the population and changes the demographic enough so as not to lose any cast swarms in my experience.

Yes I can believe that would be enough a lot of the time, but it highlights the need to consider the whole method, not just how many queen cells are to be left. That 2nd move very important if leaving multiple cells.

I leave every good looking cell and let the bees sort em out, the second move reduces the population and changes the demographic enough so as not to lose any cast swarms in my experience.

Your experience is different to mine. Chris B's step 2 is not to be missed.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back