OMF paynes floors ... can I lie them on concrete slabs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
Having a sort out in the apiary and the current paynes hives are sat on two large wooden sleepers but there isn't much air circulation up into the OMF as the sleepers dont have a gap between them ... so unlike a stand I wonder how much air flow there is (tbh they have been happy enough there for 3 years but hey .. time for a rethink)

Was thinking of putting them on a pallet instead as they might get more air that way ?

Or can I put the floors directly on concrete slabs and the design of the floors is to allow air to get in under the OMF anyway ?

Any thoughts ?

The floors are such that the omf sits above whatever you put it on anyway and there is ventilation at the back. It doesn’t matter. The only thing is you will have to clean the debris underneath fairly frequently.
My hives sit on a stand open underneath but I leave the inspection trays in over winter b

The fact there’s reduced air flow underneath is a good thing imo. I once ended up with a load of dodgy brood boxes and a pile of cheap mesh floors simply batten and mesh with no boards. I placed the floors onto the old broods past repair and hives on top. Worked well no drafts and very dry hives.

I have hives on old stone gravestones (no inscriptions remaining).

No issues. Just make sure they are well drained and there is no moss or the bases will become damp and possibly go green with lichen etc,,

I wouldn't worry too much, Chris, or as Ian wrote: The fact there’s reduced air flow underneath is a good thing imo. So long as the floor doesn't rot or harbour pests, there may be a value in reduced ventilation: the OMF has been considered standard practice since it was promoted as a means to rid the colony of 5-10% of varroa by natural drop, but can anyone post a link to research that supports the idea?

I followed the recipe blindly for many years, but have gleaned info recently that suggests that the OMF and bottom ventilation is not what it's cracked up to be. Discovered that the OMF was tried out many years ago and fell by the wayside (as do so many beekeeping ideas) but that when varroa arrived the equipment manufacturers saw a sales opportunity based on...I don't know. What is more relevant in these enlightened times is that thermal efficiency of hives and humidity in controlling varroa is fundamental to colony success. Derek Mitchell's research is pretty clear-cut: bees work to control heat and humidity and beekeepers interfere with that work. :)

Derek's research is here and the many links within it are worth pursuing; a couple of phrases stick in my mind: High humidity required, but low humidity found in man-made hives and Hives good for varroa, tree nests good for honey bees.

What I've noticed - particularly with Swienty floors, which have smaller holes and a reduced area of holes - is that bees will often propolise an OMF partially closed. As they also propolise gaps up top, perhaps it's time to read the message and re-consider the mesh floor?

Having a sort out in the apiary and the current paynes hives are sat on two large wooden sleepers but there isn't much air circulation up into the OMF as the sleepers dont have a gap between them ... so unlike a stand I wonder how much air flow there is (tbh they have been happy enough there for 3 years but hey .. time for a rethink)

Was thinking of putting them on a pallet instead as they might get more air that way ?

Or can I put the floors directly on concrete slabs and the design of the floors is to allow air to get in under the OMF anyway ?

Any thoughts ?
I wouldn't worry about your OMF's. Decided several seasons ago not to bother with them until summertime. Close mine up every winter and at the moment not lost one colony and the bees are showing three seams of uncappings on some of the trays when removed.

My own reasons for closing them up is the fact that 100% of the bait hives I use every year have closed floors. I have left exactly the same bait hive on my hedges in my garden next to one with a closed floor and NEVER caught a swarm in a bait hive with an OMF.
They do not like OMF's its us beekeepers that think they do.
This picture proves it!! A poly nucleus OMF virtually sealed up.

Attachments

• OMF Propolised JPeg.jpg
    OMF Propolised JPeg.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
I leave all mine open. Some on stands in very exposed apiaries, some on pallets.
Tried it with inserts in once and it's the only time I had mould on frames.

I leave all mine open. Some on stands in very exposed apiaries, some on pallets.
Tried it with inserts in once and it's the only time I had mould on frames.

Close all mine *that is the 50% with OMFs0.

What is mould on frames? ( poly cosies)

interesting ... so sounds like this small sample set would have me leave the correx inspection boards in all the time

have 5 hives so might hedge my bets !

thanks again for all the info

interesting ... so sounds like this small sample set would have me leave the correx inspection boards in all the time

have 5 hives so might hedge my bets !

thanks again for all the info

Interesting to see which colonies build up the quickest, OMF's or closed floors.

I usually open my closed floors in summer once it's warm enough.

Latest posts

Back