Does OMF need an 'open' stand?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vergilius

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6ish
Another likely dumb question from a recent convert to / trialist of bottom ventilation... One of my hives is stood on an almost solid wooden pallet (it does have a couple of smallish holes in it), which is itself raised off the ground by a concrete slab. The OMF is designed so that it is raised c. 1.5 inch off the pallet on three sides, with therefore a large open slot at the back... I presumed that if I keep everything nice and clean between floor and stand, this should be enough space for air-flow (as I said the pallet also has a few small gaps in it which should allow water to run through), but anyone want to correct me?

Bees not telling me anything to the contrary (i.e. excessive fanning etc.)

The others are all on posh 'open' hive stands...

Ben P.

Yes ideally they do. I have stands double length with one half open and one half closed. I use the closed end for supers during inspections.
E

I'm giving up on omf's. I have quite a few which I will continue to use but I really can't see much advantage and it is much quicker for those of us that build our own kit to make a solid floor. The tray stays in mine for 6 months of the year anyway!

I'm giving up on omf's. I have quite a few which I will continue to use but I really can't see much advantage and it is much quicker for those of us that build our own kit to make a solid floor. The tray stays in mine for 6 months of the year anyway!

Interesting, Tim: I've had similar thoughts. The OMF originated way back but ell by the wayside when varroa arrived in 1992ish and the manufacturers found research (anyone seen it?) which stated that 5-10% of varroa fell through the mesh, and off all we went and dutifully converted to them.

I run everything with sealed and insulated roofs and haven't noticed much difference between OMF and solid with regard to condensation and winter survival. Yes, solid floors are easier to make; whether a small mesh section at the rear would help is something I will trial.

As I see it Eric, reviews of studies online seem to indicate anything between 5 to 15% of Varroa fall through the floor, which I have seen described as 'statistically insignificant', and I can't disagree. My treatment regime has changed in recent years too with oxalic vaporisation becoming a regular treatment at some point in the year and a mesh floor is just a pain for this, plus trying to find the inserts/trays again at the end of the season.
I do occasionally use maqs on my hives, I think that might be the one place for mesh floors as the extra ventilation is I am sure is one of the reasons why I have not had the problems with it that others have.
Interesting to see that brother Adam used them in the 1920's for different reasons and discarded them then. Maybe I need to find out why he gave up on them.

Last edited:
oxalic vaporisation...a mesh floor is just a pain for this, plus trying to find the inserts/trays again at the end of the season.

I agree entirely.
Gave up on MAQS quickly; blunt tool that contaminated honey.
Pete Little may know why Br. Adam gave up on OMFs; Phil Chandler worked there in the latter days (18mins here of Phil restoring a Br Adam apiary) but it may be that Dartmoor winters are just too windy and too cold for an OMF.

with oxalic vaporisation becoming a regular treatment at some point in the year and a mesh floor is just a pain for this, plus trying to find the inserts/trays again at the end of the season.

Why? I use UFE's which means I can't just stuff thing in through the entrance - metal plate on the runners where the insert tray goes, Varrox sits on that, way to go.
As for insert trays, gave up on those years ago, Have a few hanging up in the shed for the extremely infrequent occasion I have a fancy for doing a mite count.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back