Open or closed OMF?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I am sure this question must have been aired before so sorry if I am repeating it.

I have two types of OMF:
The one supplied with a beginners hive from Th**nes has a flat corrdex sheet under the mesh which leaves a large, full width ventilation slot at the back of the hive.
The other (from Ma**more) has a plywood sheet with a wood up stand which fills the gap above the sheet and effectively seals the bottom of the hive.

Since one of the advantages of omf is the ventilation, is it sensible to use the latter (for verroa monitoring?) in warm weather? Should I open the entrance block or crown board holes while it is in place?

The interesting point is that both closed and open mesh have been shown by research(i will dig out the references if required) to improve varoa mite drop...

Fraise you are not talking about the floor, but the insert that goes in under the mesh floor aren't you?

The insert should be out all the time, unless you are treating with Apiguard or doing a periodic test for mite drop. Damp kills bees.

The interesting point is that both closed and open mesh have been shown by research(i will dig out the references if required) to improve varoa mite drop...

actually mesh floor is not for killing mites. It does not save hives from dead outs.
My opinion is that in Uk you keep too open mesh floors and draw backs in build up are huge.

You just over ventilates your hives like mad.

Fraise you are not talking about the floor, but the insert that goes in under the mesh floor aren't you?

The insert should be out all the time, unless you are treating with Apiguard or doing a periodic test for mite drop. Damp kills bees.

Yes - I am talking about the insert which goes under the mesh floor.
The first type allow a lot of ventilation due to the big gap (1/2 inch?) above where you insert the correx sheet thus giving a hole 16 inches by 1/2 inch in the back of the hive just under the mesh. This must be enough to prevent damp.

The second type fills the hole with the up stand and I can understand why that one should not be in place long term, I am concerned about the hive not having enough ventilation during the period when testing for mite drop.

It seems odd that there are two significantly different designs.

actually mesh floor is not for killing mites. It does not save hives from dead outs.
My opinion is that in Uk you keep too open mesh floors and draw backs in build up are huge.

You just over ventilates your hives like mad.

+1

Tried it: did not work. Hive built up v slowly.
Permanent bottom board now - removed rarely.

Latest posts

Back