Old Apigard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC47

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am a complete novice and will receive my first bees next month and have been given four Apigard packs that have not been opened, but have a 2006 date on them.
My question is do you think it would be safe to use, or should I bin them ?

Last edited:
Im in the learners lane to ! i know they contain thymol a natural product from thyme so not man made chemical, Personally with 10 years past use by date i would take it the active ingredient would have diminished even though sealed.
I always go with fresh is best.

no bought someone will prove me wrong

all the best with your bee keeping and enjoy

Yep ... Bin them and get or make an OA Sublimation kit - although if you are getting new bees from a reliable source they should not really need treating until the Autumn (if they need treatment at all of course - IMO bees should only be treated if they are showing signs of a heavy varroa infestation).

Many thanks for your advice, they are already in the bin.

Sorry to disillusion you, but thymol is a man made chemical.

Here's just one patent http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US2468670

sorry to disillusion you but
Thymol (also known as 2-isopropyl-5-methylphenol, IPMP) is a natural monoterpene phenol derivative of cymene

it is extracted from thyme oil which in turn comes from common thyme. the process you gave link to if an extraction process to produce a higher yield of thymol as normal extraction processes at the time gave a very low yield.
the addition of other substances in order to break down the molecular yes it can be classed as man made as it is extracted by a non natural process.
my use of man made is in relation to any chemical that is not obtainable from a natural source Ie... artificial, this also being the English dictionary definition of man made

if you check the CAS number for thymol 89-83-8 and cross reference with any world wide chemical manufacturer or the NCD you will see it is derived from thyme oil or other Volatile oils ( essential oil )

Thyme oil is also found in plants like
crimson beebalm, scarlet beebalm, scarlet monarda, Oswego tea, or bergamot, Ajwain or bishops weed, eyewort and a few others

Latest posts

Back