Oil seed rape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
Does anyone know of a book/article etc, that deals specifically in detail with aspects of OSR. I am thinking an idiots guide here, from when to extract, how to extract and what to do with supers after extraction?

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

loads of threads on here about it. Unfortunately the search function won't accept 3 letters, so try 'oil seed rape'.

When - as soon as the crop starts to go over, normally about 3 weeks or so from the start I think.
How - same as any other extraction as long as it hasn't set
What to do with supers - ditto

If the supers have set then they can be fed back to the bees or melted down.

When - as soon as the crop starts to go over, normally about 3 weeks or so from the start I think.
How - same as any other extraction as long as it hasn't set
What to do with supers - ditto

If the supers have set then they can be fed back to the bees or melted down.

That just about sums it up! (Very short guide.)
Cazza

There is OILSEED RAPE & BEES by ALLAN CALDER available from Northern Bee Books

I use a dehumdifier to reduce the moisture content, when required, of extracted OSR honey - blowing over open buckets in a small room.

There are other methods, including reducing the moisture content while it is stilll in the comb which is probably more efficient but my method works for me.

I have extracted from combs which were zero capped and had acceptable honey. When the flowers are over the bees can leave honey uncapped simply because the cells are not full. However, if you wait for them to fill them from the next flow the OSR stuff will probably have set by then.

When the flowers start to fade take off the supers and extract - then deal with what you have.

sorry should have been clearer - the 70-80% capped was not instead of the other advice re removing supers (whatever capping state) as flowers go over.

sorry should have been clearer - the 70-80% capped was not instead of the other advice re removing supers (whatever capping state) as flowers go over.

Its a good point, don't wait for them to be capped. Give them a shake to see if the moisture content is OK (see drips and its probably not, refractometer if not sure) and as per Rooftops if you need to reduce the water content.

Does OSR also offer a huge crop of pollen or just nectar?

Didn't realise the crop was 3 weeks from start to finish. If so will consider doing my AS splits after that as end date should be mid April.........perhaps earlier at this rate.

You will have to keep a good eye on your hives if you are going to do AS after the rape as they will often try and swarm while on it.

Any particular reason you recommend it?

I seem to have managed the OSR over the years with out a special book?

All the seeding and creaming info is on here already.

PH

You will have to keep a good eye on your hives if you are going to do AS after the rape as they will often try and swarm while on it.

Very true,usually have to remove a few queens, while on the rape each spring.

Hmm!! So given a scenario where temps are in double figures and drones are about, would it be preferable to AS before moving onto OSR?

My intention is to migrate from standard nationals to 14 x 12 and so will attempt two, possibly three splits depending on the size of the swarm at that stage. Wouldn't a concern be that if AS is done shortly before OSR flowering, the queen +ve split with its 9 frames of brood foundation would get drawn and rammed full of honey rather than giving her space to lay or would a super above easily solve that problem?

Last edited:
OSR is good for pollen and nectar.

Making massive plans for a very early crop is problematical and the critical issue is the weather. Hope for the best for sure but also always plan for the worst.

Bees are not machines and one cannot say if I do x y will result. That way leads to massive disappointments.

These days OSR is hardly worth bothering with and if I were still migratory I would very seriously ponder the worth of a move. When it was 6 weeks to 8 weeks and it gave me a ton the math was simple. Not so now.

PH

I am left wondering why buy it? If it is out of print it's well behind the times as the OSR crop is much diminished.

PH

My top tip for avoiding swarms on osr is to add multiple supers well ahead of time to any colonies which are up to strength early enough. It can mean the crop gets chimneyed up the middle of several supers, but IMO, thats a small price to pay for the alleviation of congestion that can occur when the osr flows strongly.

Latest posts

Back