oh no not queenless again!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burren

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 nationals/ 3 apideas
weather was nice here today in co clare, 16 deg, pollen coming in at a fast rate. They are on omf, super was left under brood box with few frames of honey left to them over winter/ no quilt left in this year/ varroa floor out. Seemed like a good day to have a quick check inside the hive ( 1st inspection)!!!!:svengo:

I found many frames with mould, lots of honey ( some sealed) few bees ( on the top of two/three frames) some mouldy pollen. No eggs.larvae, and no sealed brood. Q could not be seen!!!!! And the day looked soooo promising. I only have this hive presently!!!:rant:

Sorry to say you have lost it.

Now to plan for obtaining for a nuc.

PH

Sorry to hear your news. It was what I dreaded having just one hive going into winter so had almost anticipated what it would feel like. Hope that it has just made you determined to get some more rather than dampened your enthusiasm.

weather was nice here today in co clare, 16 deg, pollen coming in at a fast rate. They are on omf, super was left under brood box with few frames of honey left to them over winter/ no quilt left in this year/ varroa floor out. Seemed like a good day to have a quick check inside the hive ( 1st inspection)!!!!:svengo:

I found many frames with mould, lots of honey ( some sealed) few bees ( on the top of two/three frames) some mouldy pollen. No eggs.larvae, and no sealed brood. Q could not be seen!!!!! And the day looked soooo promising. I only have this hive presently!!!:rant:

Taking the varroa floor out might of what had resoled in a build up the mould in the hive. I leave my varroa floor in all year.

There are many other factors, the kind of honeybee you have. Some bees need lots of winter stores and some manage with less stores.

Weather the bees went in to the winter strong and weather there was to much dead space (frames without bees on) in the hive in the coldest months. I find wintering bees in a nuc works best, as there is less dead space.

The kind of winter stores matters a lot. Making your own sugar syrup and feeding it to your bees in the Autumn can mean a build up of mould in the hive. Because the sugar syrup can go off before the end of winter and then go mouldy.

I make sugar candy, using (inverted sugar syrup). I line the lid of my nuc with the sugar candy. Its just a simple mix of inverted sugar syrup and icing sugar.

inverted sugar syrup http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/store/Apiinvert-Sugar-Syrup-Large-Drum-p-16753.html

Duncan

P.s. why not try to catch a swarm using a bate box. All you need is a clean hive with frames in and some LEMONGRASS Essential Oil (its cheap to buy on Ebay) The best way to clean a hive of mould is the organic way. A mix of lemon, white vinegar and tea tree Essential Oil in a spray bottle. Cleaning a hive this way means you can use it straight away. With bleach you can't, you have to wait weeks until you can use it.

Sorry to hear of the loss. I have had to combine a failing colony. A good enough reason to start out with more than one colony, as otherwise, no contingency. Time for a nuc and encourage a rapid build up towards increase methinks. Interesting that you say that pollen was coming in, in a large quantity. Why should this be, with no brood to feed?

Edit:Ah, I see there may have been unsealed brood...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back