Oh no not again...!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Doctor

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Like many keepers we (beekeeping freind and I) have not had a good year. Our first 2 years of keeping were really easy. It seems now that every time I lift the lid there is a problem.

This year we have re-queened 2 colonies. Did it in a nuc and then re-united it. The first colony the buckfast queen having laid a few eggs disapeared. We put in another the other day.

Second colony we re-queened in same way with Carni queen. Checked after a week - loads of eggs and BIAS. Checked this evening. Loads of eggs and BIAS but open queen cells at top of frames and despite looking thorugh twice could not find HRH despite being marked with one of those dots. Not again I thought.

What is going on?? There is plenty of room in the BB and it is not a strong colony either as we have missed several brood cycles. Stores seemed low, but there was some capped honey in the supers. I put in some fondent as well tonight.

I have not removed any queen cells (made that mistake before) and will check again in a few days. Has she swarmed or just hiding?

The only colony we have that is really going well is a fairly aggresive one!!
:nopity:
Sean

Put it down to the weather, I sometimes don't think they know what they are doing o how are we supposed to? Had marked queens with virgins, swarms from recently as'd colonies. Just been one of tos years. Started with two hives snd got six now! Got to unite to get numbers down for voroa treating and os I've run out of gear..... But had some honey so not all bad!

Latest posts

Back