Odour causes attack?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have gentle bees which I regularly observe from about 6 feet without problem. Yesterday I went for a run and stopped to watch the bees before returning indoors. Within 30 secs I had been stung twice on the face, I now make the elephant man look handsome! Yesterday was quite hot, so I was quite sweaty from running, could this odour have provoked the attack?

Probably. So far I've heard they don't like bananas, alcohol or sweat. There is probably a whole other list of things these neurotic females take a dislike to. Someone will be along soon to add to that list. Hope the swelling goes down soon.

When wind blows from you to bees' direction, it provokes easily an attack.
When you open the hive, choose your side under the wind. Even if hive is calm.

Bees try to attack on eyes or on dark hair. Nose nostrils are their favorit too.

My bees do not like the smell of fish, and being an ex fisherman it was not easy in the past, but now i have retired from fishing, things are good. Ianf.

I read somewhere that you can't help looking like a bear to a bee, but try not to smell like one when approaching the hive.

I wouldn't say sweat would provoke them as when you are inspecting your hives on a hot day you must sweat quite a lot if you are anything like me but about 15 years ago I did open A hive up with a cough sweet in my mouth and as already said here that did piss them off did you have any deodorant or anything on similar on

When wind blows from you to bees' direction, it provokes easily an attack.
When you open the hive, choose your side under the wind. Even if hive is calm.

Bees try to attack on eyes or on dark hair. Nose nostrils are their favorit too.

Does the same apply if you had the sun behind you and causing a shadow over the hive?

Probably. So far I've heard they don't like bananas, alcohol or sweat. There is probably a whole other list of things these neurotic females take a dislike to. Someone will be along soon to add to that list. Hope the swelling goes down soon.

Add Horses to that,

When I had a couple of hives in the garden we put horse manure over the summer beds. The bees were NOT amused!

They dont like the smell of marker pens, i discovered this when marking the position of a q cell on a frame when i had no drawing pins to hand.

I wouldn't say sweat would provoke them as when you are inspecting your hives on a hot day you must sweat quite a lot if you are anything like me but about 15 years ago I did open A hive up with a cough sweet in my mouth and as already said here that did piss them off did you have any deodorant or anything on similar on

I used to run in the mornings and then walk round the hives in summer in T shirt and shorts - the first 6 months I had bees.

My normally very laid back bees almost always greeted me by stinging me..

I stopped that routine.. :paparazzi:

They also dislike - like fly away from - oil of cloves, Olbas oil and Avon Ever So Fresh..

And Garden Compost

Add half rotted garden compost to that list. They don't mind the fully mature variety but turning the heap really annoys my usually very calm bees. Last year I ended up wearing a veil, this year I just did it in the rain!!

what pens are you using? I had my daughter mark all frames (6 boxes) today and they did not even notice...

Hi All,
I read somewhere the bees dislike perfume/deodorant and hairspray.
Speaking from experience I know they dislike garlic breath , but who does ??

what pens are you using? I had my daughter mark all frames (6 boxes) today and they did not even notice...

A thick black permanant marker, the kind you could probably get high on , the bees flew straight at it , one even flew in the top as i went to put it back on.

I use permanent marker for my notes, blue ones. Bees tend not to like black.

A thick black permanant marker, the kind you could probably get high on , the bees flew straight at it , one even flew in the top as i went to put it back on.

I just use a Byro for mine, blue or black, they dont mind byros.
You weren't talking about using a biro, you were talking about the problems caused by using a permanent marker.

Latest posts

Back