Observing outside the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoop

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
poly hives
I am trying to come up with a detailed answer for the following question

" Imagine you keep bees in your garden -descibe the items of information about a colony that can be deducted by careful observation day by day from outside the hive.
Describe how you would verify your deductions when you open the hive in the course of a normal examination "

Any suggetions ? I am studying for a practical beekeeping exam in 8 weeks

Pollen going in = queenright and laying?? Open up and confirm.

Bees zig zagging in front of hive?? Possible robbing attempt in progress.

Not to be confused with the daily mid afternoon tea/fag break/ orientation session. Warm afternoons only.

Ian

Thousands of bees rolling out of the entrance as fast as there wings will carry them and then disappearing over the horizon.

Check inside the hive to find no queen and a lot fewer bees.
Yes they swarmed, so you will now need to put on your running shoes and stop sitting there watching the hive...

Brian

Yes they swarmed, so you will now need to put on your running shoes and stop sitting there watching the hive...

:)

Bees returning, no pollen visible but crash landing on the alighting board = over-loaded with nectar = good flow on check super space available.

There is a lot of activity at the hive entrance, some of the bees appear mal-formed and agressive - they are being attacked by wasps!

There is a lot of activity at the hive entrance, some of the bees appear massively over-weight / obese, mal-formed and very agressive - they are being attacked by hornets!

On a serious note I think the original question is too wide for a concise answer here since it varies by season so much. I agree with M.A. get a copy of Storch; whilst the style is dated (and hindered by the translation from the original German) and with some sections not relevant to modern hives designs much is still valid and a still a good reference.

First off, by watching a colony as the season progresses, you will be able to gauge its growth. As posted above, signs of pollen being carried in by workers from now onwards is an indication that the Queen is likely to be laying again (if she ever stopped over the Winter...). Keeping an eye on pollen colours tells you what the bees are foraging on at a given time. The actual quantity of bees moving in and out of the hive is an indication of colony size and if you see bees flying in circles in front of the hive, bobbing up and down and gradually moving away from the hive, they are probably young bees on their orientation flights - i.e. figuring out the location of the hive relative to landmarks. The number of these young bees also indicates that the Queen is laying well and that you are going to have more foragers in the next few weeks. Don't forget that successful observation of a colony depends on you using all your senses - smells and sounds can also tell you what is going on. Bad smells could be disease or a sign that the bees are storing up silage effluent instead of nectar!!

How about 'no activity at all'. What could that mean? Too cold, too wet or a dead-out. Maybe too dark?

RAB

What would or could indicate disease from just observing the hive entrance apart from signs of dysentery?

Lots of dead bees. blocking entrance?

Latest posts

Back