nuc, unite, or full hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not everyone has a polyhive setup.

A nuc in a brood box with a dummy board good top insulation and the dead space blocked with old towels or similar worked well for me the last 2 winters. The central or offset crown board holes would be accessible for fondant, if necessary.

If you have the option of getting 5 frames of emerging brood in it over the next 3 weeks from other sources. That could be an option for putting into a full brood box.

Thanks Baggyone. Sadly not really any other sources as my other hives are on 14x12 and these are 'traditional' (?) BB size. But something to keep in mind for future reference

It's not a disagreement - it's simply saying what I would do. You'll find a lot of questions come back that way and you have to make what you can of all opinions.

Hi again, Fronddeunant...yes, perhaps poor wording on my behalf. And you are right, it is about making what I can of different opinions. When I first started (not all that long ago, either), all these different views rattled me at times given the possible consequences of getting it wrong. I am now learning to hear all voices and, as you say, make what I can of them. This has come from a little more confidence in what I am doing. I just thought I had struck lucky with a 'no-brainer' Q and A. But if there is one thing that aids learning, it is challenging different ideas and viewpoints, so I am not complaining!

A nuc in a brood box with a dummy board good top insulation and the dead space blocked with old towels or similar worked well for me the last 2 winters. The central or offset crown board holes would be accessible for fondant, if necessary.

Hi aseeryl...a mix and match approach. Thanks for the idea...especially the bit about fondant. Something I am going to have to plan ahead for in case needed!

Sally

Latest posts

Back