Nuc To Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony19

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Now 2
A quick question, hived a swarm in a nuc earlier in the week have decided to move to a Nat Hive as I'm away fro 4 days next week to be on the safe side and ensure they asre settled in before I go and confident they will have enough space. I'm probably being over cautious but I'd hate to have them run out of room whilst I was away. So i know to move the frames one at a time and place them in the same order in the Nat hive which will be positioned in exactly the same place as the Nuc. I'll also dummy down and then give them a final check the morning I leave adding further foundation if necessary again erring on the side of caution. What time of day would be best to carry out the transfer? I thought maybe dusk when they are all settled in for the night. Also I'd like to move the entrance through 180 degreees would this create any problems?
Thanks again for all your help.

Do it during the day, at evening they are mostly all home and less tolerant. Turn the box in stages.
Many thanks it's cool here at the moment so I'll leave it until tomorrow.

Personally I wouldn't bother dummying down! I would add all the frames

E

I thought about doing that so thanks for the advice, I'll load all the BB frames (Hoffman) plus an end dummy to ease with moving frames along the runners.

Turning entrance 180 will create a problem if they have been in that orientation for more than a few days. I would do it 45 degrees at a time, leaving a day in between each turn.

Ok move from Nuc to National carried out a couple of days ago, turned out they were building comb in the large space after the dummy board not drawing comb on the foundation. Having thought about it as the entrance is in the same plain as the frames in a Maisemore poly nuc putting a dummy board in was a complete waste of time and I should have loaded all the frames.
Anyway moved the untouched frames and shook the bees into the BB added the rest of the frames (11 Hoffman plus the DB). They quickly settled and I added a rapid feeder that evening (1:1) to help get them acclimatised with their new home and aid their comb building. 3 days later and they appear completely settled and appear to have just the right temperament for a beginner. So lessons learned and more confidence gained.

Ok move from Nuc to National carried out a couple of days ago, turned out they were building comb in the large space after the dummy board not drawing comb on the foundation. Having thought about it as the entrance is in the same plain as the frames in a Maisemore poly nuc putting a dummy board in was a complete waste of time and I should have loaded all the frames.
Anyway moved the untouched frames and shook the bees into the BB added the rest of the frames (11 Hoffman plus the DB). They quickly settled and I added a rapid feeder that evening (1:1) to help get them acclimatised with their new home and aid their comb building. 3 days later and they appear completely settled and appear to have just the right temperament for a beginner. So lessons learned and more confidence gained.

Good news, lovely isn't it.

Well done.give them space and they will build comb in it.
E

Back