nuc dying out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Expect this nuc to become a loss. However, keep things warm. That is all you can do at this time. I am assuming they have food, if not a small feed of thick syrup or some fondant should be given.

I would forget ideas of swapping queens over or trying in some way to give it more bees. If the nuc is still alive in 3-4 weeks, then maybe carefully giving it a frame of bees with a little sealed brood is a possibility - vertical newspaper method.

Last edited:
nuc.jpg

about 2 o'clock this afternoon, they are still hanging in there, provided the queen has started to lay a few eggs in this warmer weather we may be looking up.

not counting my chickens just yet ;)

Are they collecting any pollen Taff?

I didn't see any go in, but to be honest I was only there a few minutes and in that time it clouded over and they all buggered off inside :)

I did see some bright yellow pollen going into the other two hives

I didn't see any go in, but to be honest I was only there a few minutes and in that time it clouded over and they all buggered off inside :)

I'm guessing all the foraging/winter bees returned to the parent hive the same day you started the nuc so its unlikely you will see any pollen being brought in yet unless you watch the entrance for awhile as there won't be many in the colony old enough to go out for pollen. If they are still going in a week or twos time then then they should be strong enough in numbers to survive.

Have you given them a pollen pattie?
If not it will help a small colony.

Latest posts

Back