Nuc arriving this weekend - not quite ready for it !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengumbo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi guys,

Ready to set up my hive and have the site its going in all cleared and ready - just a few final questions.

How level would the concrete slab my hive is going on have to be. I dug out a few tree roots and the ground was a bit lumpy so I filled it out with fresh soil and raked it. Is it worth getting some sand and laying it perfectly level or is roughly level okay ?

When ordering my langstroth frames I got the frames from MB but they dont do wired foundation and I didnt want to faff around myself with it so I got pre-wired foundation from my local thornes guy. Thing is it doesnt look compatible to my eye ? Anyone else got round this ?

Finally, with my poly hive from MB I have got paint for the outside but do I need to put anything internally ? It recommends painting the feeder surface where the syrup goes but does the inside of the brood box need painted ?

Cheers for your help !

GG

If it were me I would use sand or similar to get the slab secure. Not critical if it's not 100% level with open mesh floor, but you certainly don't want it rocking.

Don't know about foundation, if they are both langstroth then should fit.

Don't put anything on inside of brood box.

PS: Good luck!!

Mine used to be levelled. However, with rapid expansion, I have some that (ahem) need some attention. The important thing is to make sure that there is no chance of water pooling inside, which shouldn't be an issue on open mesh floors, if you have them.

No paint on inside though we paint inside of roof black/dark to reduce light.

Level is not ideal oddly, better to have a slight slope from front to back so the water is shed off the roof...s....

PH

Is it worth getting some sand and laying it perfectly level or is roughly level okay ?

Poster is, I believe, reading the post asking if the paving slab needs to be perfectly level

As level as practicable, certainly not really sloping, is the simple answer.

We have absolutely no idea of what arrangement the OP has for above that slab.

I have stands sitting on the slabs and my hive atop the stand. Making any small adjustment is no great hardship, either to the astand/slab interface or at the stand/hive interface. I always(?) carry several pieces of wood for levelling hives, whether stood on a slab or on the soil or whatever. They are a very basic commodity whenever placing a hive in a new position. Where any levelling strips may be placed is a matter for the OP. I prefer them between stand and slab, usually, but if there is no stand ther is clearly no choices.

Re foundation - why not compatible to your eye? There is a good chance that it may not be the right size

I was under the imperssion that painting the exterior and the inner sufaces of the feeder were covered specifically. You just follow those instructions, no more, no less.

Why anyone would think there was too much light around the roof area is a mystery to me, unless there is no colony in situ , or a very small one indeed. This is not a bait hive.

Last edited:
the only time you have to worry about getting the hives dead level is if you go down the foundationless route using starter strips, because they will draw the comb vertical, and if your frames are on a tilt it will end up in an uneven mess

Definitely spend the time to get your slab dead level (or slight slope back to front), and definitely use sand so that it won't gradually shift as the soil compacts.

Trying to correct a sloping or rocking slab once there's a hive full of bees sitting on top is no fun at all!

Don't worry, greengumbo.

I was totally prepared for my first nuc....

......... right up to the moment I actually got them home!

It reminded me of taking our firstborn home from hospital:
Where do you put the carrycot?
On the floor? (Disrespectful) On the sofa? (Risky).
On the table? (Disrespectful and risky.)

It settles down after your first inspection....
.... till your first unexpected event.

Great fun!

Dusty.

I intended a slight slope but common sense is of course a bit of a rarity.

No need to paint the inside of the BB or supers for that matter.

Nor the "mating surfaces" of poly units lest they stick.

PH

Re foundation - why not compatible to your eye? There is a good chance that it may not be the right size.

Hi - its the correct size but the MB frames dont have the grooves for sliding in the foundation sheet that the th**nes ones do. Instead the sides top and bottom are just flat and there are holes for eyelets and wires - whereas the th**nes wired foundation has loops of wire for nailing in position.

Thanks for all the help on the rest of my questions. Now have some sand and will paint tonight.

Bee - day minus 2 !

Hi - its the correct size but the MB frames dont have the grooves for sliding in the foundation sheet that the th**nes ones do. Instead the sides top and bottom are just flat and there are holes for eyelets and wires - whereas the th**nes wired foundation has loops of wire for nailing in position.

Langstroth frames don't have grooves down the side. Some Th0rnes Langstroth foundation is too wide, some is the right size. You may need to trim it slightly to make it fit the frame, otherwise it will bow.

Langstroth frames don't have grooves down the side. Some Th0rnes Langstroth foundation is too wide, some is the right size. You may need to trim it slightly to make it fit the frame, otherwise it will bow.

Excellent. I have made up loads of national frames before but this is what I needed to know :)

bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back