Now i am rich!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekim

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have now kept bees for a full season ,the cost of 2 hives , frames,foundation,suit, smoker etc has come to a few hundred pounds.What have i gained ? several stings,4lbs of honey and so much FUN.The people at the chesterfield beekeepers meeting are very helpful full of advice(all different)Make you feel very welcome and put on very good talks and demonstrations.People at work ask how my bees are as do family and friends,the only down side is not having enough honey to shear out.Keeping bees is a great hobby i hope to bring both hives through the winter and split so i have 4,roll on spring!

Congratulations.
And well done. all you need to do is keep going and you will have more honey next year.
I too find the same as you do super fun.
I just harvested 1/3 up on last year I am so excited.

Look after your bees through the winter to put them in good stead for spring

A few hundred! You have done well to keep it this low, it does become very addictive and there are always good bargains in the sales!

Don't be too hasty to look to split, two strong hives will give you plenty for friends and family next year.

Nice one and glad your enjoying it, year 2 can be a bit more challenging but just as much fun

Well done. I like your enthusiasm and your forward planning. Costs will still go up next year though because for each hive you have with bees in you will need at least one empty one, so two hives now means you need four hives for next year to be able to do artificial swarms.

If your bees are prolific and try to swarm again later, or another swarm arrives you could even need a nuc box for emergency use. Well that's what happened to me in my second year any way. Still good fun though, and you learn a lot more. At least if they give you some honey next year they can begin to pay their own way.

Latest posts

Back