Not a waggle dance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pansypots

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone got any idea what one of my bees was up to do today. I was watching her on the landing board and she wasn’t doing a waggle dance but something else I haven’t seen. She was walking up and down and constantly stopping, pointing her abdomen skywards and then rotating it in slow circles. Bees kept going up her and then going a way but she kept on doing it. It was very strange.

Spreading pheromones using her Nasonov's gland, unusual for one bee to do it though
I see 1 bee doing it quite frequently and often wonder why. I think it’s most common during orientation rushes so assumed she is offering a helping hand to the new fliers - not sure what triggers them to do it though.

I see 1 bee doing it quite frequently and often wonder why. I think it’s most common during orientation rushes so assumed she is offering a helping hand to the new fliers - not sure what triggers them to do it though.
Probably been on the baked baked beans and Guiness diet .... they would not have her around inside the hive ....

Latest posts

Back