No money in honey now

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people demand pay, some people will pay you.
As long as rules are clear and both sides are happy I can't see any fault.
Dismissing anyone who wants payment is bad for business.
Figuring out are you getting your moneys worth is whole another thing.

Sounds about right.

Reading between the lines it seems that Hachi has lost an apiary to a bigger player, but it's worth remembering that we still have it easy: not only does the OP, Ladaok in NZ, reckon his pastoral honey is almost valueless, but he lives in a beekeeping environment where destruction, poisoning, theft, intimidation and violence seems routine, and a direct consequence of the manuka boom. There's also reports of one of the big players, Comvita, wangling land use and squeezing out local beekeepers, especially Maori, and NZ-Australian government argument over intellectual property rights to the term manuka.

Sounds about right.

Reading between the lines it seems that Hachi has lost an apiary to a bigger player, but it's worth remembering that we still have it easy: not only does the OP, Ladaok in NZ, reckon his pastoral honey is almost valueless, but he lives in a beekeeping environment where destruction, poisoning, theft, intimidation and violence seems routine, and a direct consequence of the manuka boom. There's also reports of one of the big players, Comvita, wangling land use and squeezing out local beekeepers, especially Maori, and NZ-Australian government argument over intellectual property rights to the term manuka.

From what I remember beekeepers had to be very respectful and have agreements before putting bees down on tribal land.

From what I remember beekeepers had to be very respectful and have agreements before putting bees down on tribal land.

That may have been true in the past, but the link tells a sad and different story: seems the company did a deal with some Maori but not all and not in the proper way. As Comvita made $18.5m from honey last year, they probably reckon they can get away with doing it their way.

Reading between the lines it seems that Hachi has lost an apiary to a bigger player,

20190925-p52uoe.html"]manuka[/URL].

Nope wrong again :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Reading between the lines it seems that Hachi has lost an apiary to a bigger player

Otis tarda?

Wasn't he that baseball player that got away with murdering his wife after she cut his johnson off?

Great bustard introduced to Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire - Possibly Cheers thinks Hachi has hives on the plain - I don't think so - that is all sown up by big players as far as I know but there again. Also Great Bustard is on the flag of Wiltshire so another possible angle but who know how Cheers mind works. Not me nor I suspect, him.

Great bustard introduced to Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire - Possibly Cheers thinks Hachi has hives on the plain - I don't think so - that is all sown up by big players as far as I know but there again. Also Great Bustard is on the flag of Wiltshire so another possible angle but who know how Cheers mind works. Not me nor I suspect, him.

Who are these illusive BIG players do you know

Hi Hachi

I can't remember/ don't know names sorry - no-one in Kennet but coincidentally at a meeting I was at last night the topic came up. There is one guy who comes from Wales has several hundred hives as I understand and 2 or 3 others were mentioned who had hives on the plain on non-MOD land. They may not meet your definition of big ( :) ) but if you pm me I will try and find out details as best I can.

Cheers D

Hi Hachi

I can't remember/ don't know names sorry - no-one in Kennet but coincidentally at a meeting I was at last night the topic came up. There is one guy who comes from Wales has several hundred hives as I understand and 2 or 3 others were mentioned who had hives on the plain on non-MOD land. They may not meet your definition of big ( :) ) but if you pm me I will try and find out details as best I can.

Cheers D

Now that's what I call an out apiary. Long way to travel!!!!!

Yeah but Salisbury Plain is kind of special. Apart from the possibility of being killed by things that go bang, it is 300 square miles of largely unsprayed uncultivated chalk downland in the middle of the south of England.

given recent quarantines and trade shutting down honey prices might be spiking this year
all food prices will probably go up, might be good year for farmers

Well if it’s recommended by the association then it must be right........then again many are run by a bunch of old beeks with no idea of commercial value and sell the honey for £4 ........ok sorry generalised a bit.

Old beeks ? I’m the Chairman of Wiltshire atm and I’d say over half who attend our council meetings are under 50 which is definitely not ‘old’

Not sure where Hachi gets his N Wilts associations encourage .... from ... 1 1lb honey jar per colony per annum or the price to sell said 1lb honey at as I’m not aware of Wiltshire or any of the associations either stating or encouraging it but then again I also don’t see all their correspondence to local members so they may have said something to that effect at some point.

KR

S

Yeah but Salisbury Plain is kind of special. Apart from the possibility of being killed by things that go bang, it is 300 square miles of largely unsprayed uncultivated chalk downland in the middle of the south of England.

One ex military living in Cardiff who is now retired, he had 120 hives on Salisbury Plain. Now has a small number in Gwent.

As an aside I heard of a London keeper who puts bees on Scottish heather moors, now that is long distance.

PH

Latest posts

Back