Newly mated queen, Apiguard or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Some of you may remember my hive swarmed last month and I was left with 2 charged queen cells. I inspected 3 weeks ago to find both had emerged and it looked like they may have swarmed again, as the number of bees in the box had drastically fallen, covering only 4-5 frames where they had previously been covering all 11 frames.

I inspected today for the first time since finding the newly emerged queen cells, and found brood in all stages though it was confined to the middle part of the 2 innermost frames. So I am not sure if the queen is only just kicking off, or whether she is just not very prolific - time will tell. On a side note - I moved them to the heather last month (despite advice against doing so) and the bees have piled in lots of stores, so hopefully this will put them in good stead for the winter. I plan to remove them in a fortnight once the heather is finished and return them to my apiary.

So I am now left with a decision - do I use a chemical treatment for varroa (Ulster BKA advise a Thymol based treatment) or should I leave them alone to allow the queen get on with building up the number of bees to carry through the winter?

Rob

If they need treating....treat, if not......don't, that simple!

I havent had a chance to monitor the varroa drop yet (will do so asap) but what I am asking is whether the treatment will retard the pace of the queen in rearing new brood?

Probably yes...... Depends on which you think is most important...sorry, but no easy answer

Apiguard is well known for putting queens off lay for a while.

Hi Rob,
If it were me I would leave them alone. They have had a brood break and you have not got any winter bees - unless you can see verroa damage. I am only a second year beek though.

If you think varroa drop is low (should have been monitoring with a tray in- even for 2-3 days) I wouldn't treat at the moment.
Let the queen get cracking and build the colony size. No point in lessening varroa on a tiny colony that wont winter through anyway. Can you put them into a Poly Nuc to help them in the meantime. Can always return to full hive if they increase well.
Then in December Oxalic them.

If you think varroa drop is low (should have been monitoring with a tray in- even for 2-3 days) I wouldn't treat at the moment.
Let the queen get cracking and build the colony size. No point in lessening varroa on a tiny colony that wont winter through anyway. Can you put them into a Poly Nuc to help them in the meantime. Can always return to full hive if they increase well.
Then in December Oxalic them.

:iagree:I have the same situation myself and I'm holding off on the thymol treatment. I will probably try to treat in 2-3 weeks and definitely Oxalic in mid-winter

I'm in similar position - put second lot of hivemakers thymol on. Has been at least a week without any new eggs since last check, the last treatment is due on tomorrow, but with both of my hive's off laying and so far in the treatment I think im going to have to do the treatment and takeoff in a week. (I think 5weeks is long enough.....). Going to checking tonight to see if there's many new eggs since Saturday hoping its been laid out.

Back