Newbie from Kent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have the internal sensor (Hive Heart v3) so measures internal temp, humidity, and frequency of the bees in the hive (swarm alert and missing Queen) - as long as a mobile with gateway app goes near downloads the data - hence latest update here:
View attachment 26721

I am really quite curious ~ how does the gadget know when the queen is 'missing' or there is a swarm imminent ??

Apologies for the lack of updates - work has been manic with further promotion and time for social media has been tight.

Both the main hive and NUC came through really well over winter - main hive was wrapped with kingspan and 4” in a super above crownboard.

160B60E1-BDD7-4913-AB42-894C48765FF5.jpeg

Both hives have built up well in spring - the NUC even managed to fill 6 super frames in March - of which I extracted 5.

the Overwintered NUC is heading off to a fellow beginner who lost their hives over winter - they previously had quite aggressive bees so hopefully the gentle colony will mean less problems and more observation.

I do have a full secondmatching caddon hive, currently empty:

E9C10109-E34A-4EE8-B3C9-70BA30B127AE.jpeg

for inhabitants - myself and 2 other local beeks have ordered NUCs from Ceri in Wales - I’m taking the 6 hour drive to collect them - then another 6 hours back, may well stay overnight at a premier inn to break the journey.

Otherwise this year going to split the main hive and create a NUC and Bailey comb change for another fellow beginner who lost their bees (no fault of theirs - trainer had come round to winterise but less said about that the better) - going from 14 x 12 to standard national.

I will try and post some update pics.

1D13D0D7-B4B4-4040-BC38-41E52724F12D.jpeg

Many thanks

Alex

Latest posts

Back