NewBEE from Berkshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SallyB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
We are curious about the many bees (mostly white and red tailed) that are congregating on our dahlias and borage. We've counted up to 5 on any one head at a time.

The bees seem to be really sleepy, almost overdosed on nectar, and are very happy sharing their space with each other.

We are curious to know why they do not return to their hives in the evening as they are still there in the morning.

I've attached pics to show you the situation for yourselves.

Thanks in advance of any information.

We are curious about the many bees (mostly white and red tailed) that are congregating on our dahlias and borage. We've counted up to 5 on any one head at a time.

The bees seem to be really sleepy, almost overdosed on nectar, and are very happy sharing their space with each other.

We are curious to know why they do not return to their hives in the evening as they are still there in the morning.

I've attached pics to show you the situation for yourselves.

Thanks in advance of any information.

They are bumble bees by the look of it ... not honey bees. So, Bumble live in small nests which can be on the ground or inside a suitable small space. They are not like honey bees - they rear their young in the nests but apart from the queen they tend not to all return to the nest at night. They can rest at night inside flowers - they particularly like the sort that close up for the night and will often curl up in a corner of the flower and allow the petals to close over them.

I suspect that this is what is happening in your garden.

They are bumble bees by the look of it ... not honey bees. So, Bumble live in small nests which can be on the ground or inside a suitable small space. They are not like honey bees - they rear their young in the nests but apart from the queen they tend not to all return to the nest at night. They can rest at night inside flowers - they particularly like the sort that close up for the night and will often curl up in a corner of the flower and allow the petals to close over them.

I suspect that this is what is happening in your garden.
I think you're right - they are indeed Bumbles not Honeybees. They did collect pollen on their legs a few weeks back, but now are drinking nectar with their black 'tongues'. Presumably they use this nectar for their young and the Queen rather than making honey. Is that correct?

Thank you for your reply.

I think you're right - they are indeed Bumbles not Honeybees. They did collect pollen on their legs a few weeks back, but now are drinking nectar with their black 'tongues'. Presumably they use this nectar for their young and the Queen rather than making honey. Is that correct?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, some bumbles produce small amounts of honey which they store in small wax cups in the nest but nothing on the scale of honey bees. Just enough to rear their young and feed the queen. You might be lucky and have a nest in your garden - you can sometimes follow them and find their nest. Don't disturb it it you do ... they will all be gone in a few weeks as only the queens survive over winter. They will find a cosy warm place to hibernate and come out again in spring when it warms up ... lovely creatures and pretty harmless as long as you leave them alone.

Mine were spending the night out on the catnip last week (tree bumbles which have made a nest in a nestbox above the back door).

Latest posts

Back