Hi from Bulgaria

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davy Bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone

I am new to bee keeping and looking forward to browsing through all the information/previous posts for guidance and likely to be asking questions later, apologies in advance if they may sound stupid, but as said already I am a total newbee.

After five years of getting up at 4am in the morning to go to a high stress level work environment and having no life outside of work as totally exhausted, my wife and I moved to Bulgaria last year to start as near a self sufficient lifestyle as possible.

We have a 1/3rd of an acre for vegetable growing with walnut and fruit trees and have the obligatory chickens and some goslings for rearing for Christmas. Since being here we have carried out intensive research into setting up a bee hive so that we can produce our own honey later and have now taken the plunge.

Two weeks ago our first hive (a lovely shade of lilac) arrived from a Bulgarian bee keeper who cannot speak English and my Bulgarian is sketchy) and he returned last week with the nucleus colony and installed it into the hive. He advised we feed them a syrup feed for 5 days to allow them to settle and they are now are returning to the hive laden with pollen so are now out foraging.

Exciting times ahead and more than likely the occasional sting.

Welcome Davy Bee.

My dad retired to Bulgaria a few years ago and lives just south of Yambol. He has some land and I've been trying to convince him to get bee's but not managed it yet.

Welcome Davy Bee.

My dad retired to Bulgaria a few years ago and lives just south of Yambol. He has some land and I've been trying to convince him to get bee's but not managed it yet.

We are just north of Veliko Tarnovo

Good start then, good luck with your venture and hope you have every success with your new life. have you fed them yet ?

Good start then, good luck with your venture and hope you have every success with your new life. have you fed them yet ?

I have continued feeding them as recently we have had torrential downpours so that they are not able to forage, but when dry and sunny they go out foraging again. At the moment there is only the nucleus colony with four frames in the brood box. I have others to put in later , but the Bulgarian guy who supplies me with the hive/nucleus is due to arrive back and check and advise further. A little awkward as he speaks only Bulgarian and I do not yet speak it/understand the language, but when he came to deliver the nucleus colony we got by with pointing/gesticulating and the like.

Latest posts

Back