New to this

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl lloyd

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
:iamwithstupid hello i'm new to bee keeping! i'm in it for the bees honey is just a plus, i'm thinking about get a top bar hive as it's seem to be more of a let the bees do what come natural,or am i wrong i've got a big garden and 100ft by 30ft greenhouse full of chilli peppers and tomatos last year my pollonation was rubbish aka idea have my own bees

You don't need bees to pollinate tomatoes - if they are growing up a string just tap the string with a stick so the plant and the flowers shakes a bit. This is all you need do. Chillies can be hand pollinated, either with a brush or remove a flower and use that - rubbing it from flower to flower.

The problem is honey bees don't really like greenhouses unless there are a lot of very attractive flowers in there for them, and a few tomatoes or chillies, even in a big greenhouse, would not really get them very excited. Most honey bees which flew in would probably spend most of their time hitting the glass trying to get out.

Try a TBH if you want, but try and find someone locally using one so you can try before buying so to speak and you will have someone to turn to for advice. The "natural" bit about TBH is somewhat exaggerated. You can get the same effect with a conventional hive giving them a starter strip in the frame rather than an entire sheet of foundation. But TBH are generally a lot cheaper than conventional hives - which is a big plus

greenhouse

both ends of the greenhouse are open so no oohhs for the bees i had a bumble bee queen nest in there last year by god their big so hopefully i'll have them back this year also, i'm in the middle of 50 acre's of pesticide free land so should get a good start:

Latest posts

Back