New to this but have a question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w11x22

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi all
I am new to this and watched few Videos on UTUBE..... In all turorials I have seen that people are putting in sugar syrup in the hives for the bees..So my question is, the bees are producing honey from a sugar syrup not from the flowers etc.... Is this a pure honey. I think honey produced this way will not have better aroma and taste as compared to honey from flowers etc....
Any thoughts.......
Thanks in advance......

Sugar syrup is only put on when there is a dearth of nectar or for building up stores for winter after you've taken the honey off. also, if you have transferred a 5 frame nuc into a full iszed hive with frames of foundation you may want to give the bees some sugar syrup to encourage them to draw wax.
So in answer to your question, no it wouldn't be pure honey - sugar is (or should) be put on for the benefit of the bees - no other reason :)

I am new to this and watched few Videos on UTUBE

I respectfully suggest you get one or more good bee books and read up on beekeeping. Utube might be OK for demonstration purposes, but is not so good for learning the basic information. Hooper is good, but there are lesser tomes for the average newbie.

Just adding to that given that your climate is rather different to ours over here and having seen a bit of Canadian beekeping in situ, I would suggest a couple of ideas to you.

The first is to find a Canadian beekeeping book, and the 2nd is to find a local club and or forum as things are rather different for us and you. Actually in more than a few ways your situation is a bit simpler, especially hive choice.

Good luck

PH

I am new to this and watched few Videos on UTUBE

I respectfully suggest you get one or more good bee books and read up on beekeeping. Utube might be OK for demonstration purposes, but is not so good for learning the basic information. Hooper is good, but there are lesser tomes for the average newbie.

Hooper being his book "Guide to Bees and Honey" which a cheapish basic book and a good read. Alternatively, if you fancy indulging in greater depth, Hooper joined forces with american Roger Morse and they co-wrote "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Beekeeping", written in alphabetical format - cost about £60 import ex US to UK, also easy to read.

Back