New software starting point.... (ipad)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a few forget the names off the top of my head very basic though.

I havent done much more on this yet, give it a little time I may start a prototype.

Voice recognition would be nice.

I was thinking that getting it to ask simple questions and you reply - but a lot a work todo that and it produce the excel spreadsheet I attached etc.

I was thinking that getting it to ask simple questions and you reply - but a lot a work todo that and it produce the excel spreadsheet I attached etc.

Yes I'd imagine that's a job and a half.

Halfway house it devise a good shorthand language that is clear and unambiguous and use it to record an inspection.

At home run the speech recognition and manually correct obvious mistakes.

Then run the load into the database, and throw up exceptions for correction.

I'm not a fan of voice recognition, have any of you tried using Siri of the iPhone 4S and 5? It's heading in the right direction but its still no use to anyone. I can't offer much input with the practicality of using an iPhone or iPad while working at a hive as I've not got mine up and running yet but apple use very tough screens and they are quite difficult to break, I've dropped mine on Tarmac, concrete and wood and only have minor scratches and a tiny chip on the screen. If you really did want to use it in conditions that were harsh you could use an otter box if you google it its a very tough case that you can throw, hit with a bat, drive over and drop into a pond and the iPhone or iPad stays safe and is usable wile in the otter box then unclip the case and there's no mess on the iPhone or iPad.

I like HiveT???ks which is non profit and free, the main downside to all these is you have to be online which is mostly impossible in the Apiary. So if you do it make it so enteries can be made off line and sync'd later when device has Internet again.

For this I'd pay £2.99 if it looks nice and has custom fields the user can add.

I think the suggestion of simple voice 'memo' recording software is an excellent one. Somewhere I have a clip on "lapel mic" which would come in useful if I can find it.

One refinement would be voice-operated recording. So it only records when you are speaking (or cursing!) which would mean much quicker (manual) transcription of the data, once back at a proper desk.

Seems like a reasonable answer to the propolis (sticky hands) problem for the solo beek.
With the remote mic, one could probably do it easily from a phone kept safely in a pocket...

Last edited:
I have a Vox operated digital recorder Olympus VN_2100 complete with myriad folders, easy to navigate .results up loaded to computer at leisure ,
Using a clip on mic stops the unnecessary handling of the unit and the transference of propolis to same :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like "Smart Voice Recorder" (free - for Android) will do Vox type recording ...

Latest posts

Back