New queen needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beepig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Help! Following removing a drone layer and puttin* bees in a nuc indeed a new queen pronto. I am in north Pembrokeshire. Any ideas, anyone?:thanks:

Help! Following removing a drone layer and puttin* bees in a nuc indeed a new queen pronto. I am in north Pembrokeshire. Any ideas, anyone?:thanks:

You have other hives? Shake them out. You need young worker bees to support your new queen.

It meant to read I need a. New queen. My disabled fingers tsk

First of all what is the state of the hive? Ratio drones to workers. You have 2 more hives, if you can remove a frame of emerging brood, without any eggs or 2-3 day larvae from one of your other hives and place it in the hive where the workers are in residence. These will be your nurse bees, then order a queen from BS Honeybees, Buckfast, etc. You may have to juggle frames between hives later. But if you deem it too small, then shake them out.

Last edited:
You have other hives? Shake them out. You need young worker bees to support your new queen.

That is the second time this year i have seen that mentioned, it is far too cold to do that.. if you want to kill the bees spray them with bendiocarb or petrol.

We are in a warmer climate down here in the south!;):D

I'm still wearing my thermal coat , i have done shook outs in warm weather but it is still like the end of winter here, the only reason i reply to shake them out is beginners will read this and think it is ok to do it anywhere in the country, up North is a tad different (proper up North) .

That is the second time this year i have seen that mentioned, it is far too cold to do that.. if you want to kill the bees spray them with bendiocarb or petrol.

The hive is dead. If the queen has been laying drones who is going to raise new bees?
I’m not suggesting throwing the bees out in the snow. You shake bees out in front of flying hives.

As for adding frames of brood better to split strong hives later in the year then get you new queen?

The hive is dead. If the queen has been laying drones who is going to raise new bees?
I’m not suggesting throwing the bees out in the snow. You shake bees out in front of flying hives.

As for adding frames of brood better to split strong hives later in the year then get you new queen?

Perfect ;)

Wait a couple of days for better weather then shake them out. Think of the strength of your apiary overall; will build up far better rather than robbing the strong to give to the weak plus £42 and at this time the risk of an import.

Latest posts

Back