New nuc box advice please...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't by the combination poly nuc from Park Beekeeping. Although fabulous that, with inserts, it can be made to fit nearly all types of frame, the poly is low density and the bees have chewed chunks out of mine and it will not last much longer.

when did you buy yours as park say they are now denser polystyrene compare to last year

i looked at both modern beekeeping and park at stoneliegh and MB won by miles

Modern Beekeeping .co.uk run by Rooftops I believe. A solid reliable poster on the forum.
Very helpful.

I am not really wanting to post details on the open forum, but I have several e-mail exchanges from my research into a suitable polynuc for my own use, and would be willing to share some of the detail via PM regarding densities etc. Some details were from third parties, and while probably totally accurate, are not information I would pass out on an open forum, and certainly not any names, etc.

The final decision is up to the individual purchaser, after all.

I may buy another supplier's kit in the future for evaluation, but that is me - research, decide, try, evaluate, and maybe modify requirements. Not necessarily the cheapest route for a single item, but I know nothing is going to be absolutely ideal for all circumstances and not many are interchangeable. I realise there are subtle differences and some have certain advantages over other designs, but also some down-sides as well. Compromise is the eventual outcome, if the product does not fit my particular requirements 100%.

Having said that, I bought MB (after looking at the limited range of options available to me) and am very pleased so far (and don't expect anything to change) as RT's product fitted my requirements, service was excellent and they are for evaluation purposes at the present time.

Regards, RAB

Can you use standard frames in mb nucs or do you have to use the ones they sell

Depends what you call standard, MB nucs are all Langstroth. My WBC takes the same frames as a National, so I'll have to use adapters to change them to Langstroth.

so I'll have to use adapters to change them to Langstroth./B]

Noooo. You will need to adapt your nucs to take National frames. Quite easy to do.

PM will follow, typed in once then lost!

Regards, RAB

Thanks O! I never thought of that option...and you promise it is simple enough for me to do?!

Depends what you call standard, MB nucs are all Langstroth. My WBC takes the same frames as a National, so I'll have to use adapters to change them to Langstroth.

Sorry didn't make my self very clear. Do they take standard langstroth frames that other suppliers sell or just the ones that MB supply

my thornes MD deep seem to fit ok in the jumbo nuc box.

Only been in a few days though so I'll check next warm day.

here on the coast we get squalls which only last a minute or 2 but are incredibly windy. Feeling my way with this poly.

Adding to the above.

I have two Jumbos fitted with 14 x12 frames.......

Why not ask the supplier, or at least first look at their website? They should know exactly what fits...

RAB

Just been looking at mb website - and they do a simple converter kit for using national frames in their nuc. Looks easy enough to put on and take off when required. Anyone experience of using it?

Adding to the above.

I have two Jumbos fitted with 14 x12 frames.......

Why not ask the supplier, or at least first look at their website? They should know exactly what fits...

RAB

I have looked on their website but it is always nice to get the opinion of some one neutral who has used their kit to get their opinions and experience of using it

I have looked on their website but it is always nice to get the opinion of some one neutral who has used their kit to get their opinions and experience of using it

So why ask that question, which bears no apparent ressemblance to what you now appears to be asking!

Sorry, but it seems like changing direction mid-stream.

Juststarting,

One would not use them very often. They are really simply used to get the nuc frames (most nucs are on National standard frames) into a Langstroth box. As soon as the bees are transfered to Langstroth frames and these frames are marginalised, one would 'out' them, replacing with Langstroth frames. It is not really a sensible method for using National frames in a Langstroth boxes on a permanent basis.

Regards, RAB

Rab
Yet again i apolagize for not making myself clear i do have learning difficults and in the past have had no problems asking a question on this site as memmbers have been very helpfull. obviously as i have become more confident using this site because of the kindness and helpfullness pf its members iv obviosly started to anoy some memmbers i do appolagise for this as this is not my intention to do so. Thanky Andrew

Latest posts

Back