Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I'm hoping to eventually become a bee-keeper. My father in law was an experienced bee-keeper. He recently passed away and I'd like to keep continue doing something he loved doing .

Hi Charlotte, I think that's a lovely idea and I hope that this brings you peace and a sense of continued connection to him. I wish you well with your future beekeeping. I've not been on here long either, but it seems that there's a quite a few helpful, wise and well-intentioned people here who put good thought into creating helpful advice. Sending good energy. Kind regards, Davey.

Hi. I'm hoping to eventually become a bee-keeper. My father in law was an experienced bee-keeper. He recently passed away and I'd like to keep continue doing something he loved doing .
welcome - it may be helpful if you put your location on your profile so we can tailor your advice to suit.

Hi Charlotte and welcome from me too.
You’ve begun to plan so that is a good thing. Have you joined your local beekeeping association? That’s a good start. Book yourself into their winter course, get a look into their training apiary during what’s left of our summer. Weather or no there is still lots to do.
At least you shouldn’t be short of kit.
Good luck 🐝🐝

Hi Charlotte and welcome from me too.
You’ve begun to plan so that is a good thing. Have you joined your local beekeeping association? That’s a good start. Book yourself into their winter course, get a look into their training apiary during what’s left of our summer. Weather or no there is still lots to do.
At least you shouldn’t be short of kit.
Good luck 🐝🐝
Hi I've looked at Rotherham Beekeepers but I think I've missed their course for this year. I intend to go along once their meetings resume and will definitely join. I've started to read the books they suggest on their website. Thank you for the advice. A local beekeeper has kindly offered to introduce me to her hives too. I plan to drain others of their knowledge and generous offers of help !!!!

Hi Charlotte, I think that's a lovely idea and I hope that this brings you peace and a sense of continued connection to him. I wish you well with your future beekeeping. I've not been on here long either, but it seems that there's a quite a few helpful, wise and well-intentioned people here who put good thought into creating helpful advice. Sending good energy. Kind regards, Davey.
Thank you Davey. That's very kind .

I've missed their course for this year.
There’s nothing preventing you joining and visiting their training apiary. You won’t even need a suit. They will have spares.
Enrol on their winter course and order an overwintered nuc for next spring.

Welcome Charlotte.
I wish you all the best on your beekeeping journey ,I'm a newbie too and with the help from this forum and my local BBKA have now got 2 hives with bees ,i had some some ups and downs,but have still manage to have my bees .I echo what the more experienced beekeepers have mentioned and the fact that someone has kindly taken you under their wing ,will be more valuable than you would get from watching YT videos .Actually handling the bees and doing hive inspections will give so much more confidence when the time comes to have your own bees .Please keep us informed how your journey goes and do not hesitate to ask questions, as you may have gathered many different opinions from beekeepers but each valuable in some way .
John

Welcome Charlotte.
I wish you all the best on your beekeeping journey ,I'm a newbie too and with the help from this forum and my local BBKA have now got 2 hives with bees ,i had some some ups and downs,but have still manage to have my bees .I echo what the more experienced beekeepers have mentioned and the fact that someone has kindly taken you under their wing ,will be more valuable than you would get from watching YT videos .Actually handling the bees and doing hive inspections will give so much more confidence when the time comes to have your own bees .Please keep us informed how your journey goes and do not hesitate to ask questions, as you may have gathered many different opinions from beekeepers but each valuable in some way .
John
Thank you. I'll keep you updated on progress!

Back