Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I am completely new to bee keeping. I am currently completing a beginners course and expect to have my first hive in May.
My name is Matt and I live in York.
Welcome to the hobby & to this great forum! Be warned it can be addictive.
What are your plans re hives, siting, etc?

I have bought a cedar National hive and hope to keep it in our back garden.

Hello, I am completely new to bee keeping. I am currently completing a beginners course and expect to have my first hive in May.
Hi Matt and welcome. I hope you enjoy the forum
Just a word though, It's perfectly possible to have a hive in your garden but if you have neighbours please have an alternative site should you need one.
Ask for advice here about siting in the beginners section

Welcome Matt. Are you attending a beginners course in York or one of the other associations nearby (Barkston Ash or Selby)?

I have just finished the theory course in York. It has been very interesting. We have a practical course starting in May when we see getting our nucs of bees.
We have a biggish garden, so hoping to keep them at the bottom away from the house.

7 sessions theory then 6 practical when the bees arrive.

Read it all, thanks. It all seems a bit daunting to be honest...

You'll be fine, get the stages of development of workers and queens firmly in your head & try to think what the bees are trying to do when you find something new happening.
Remember that there are almost no circumstances where you have to act instantly - you can put the hive back together, have a think or ask a question on here before you act.
Never destroy queen cells until you have thought through the options & checked it's safe to do so.
Have a spare hive or nuc box available, you'll need it at some point.
Relax and enjoy your bees!

Oh I know! I did the course and came away bewildered, daunted and extremely nervous! I have a really sound local apiary group where I did my practical sessions and got lots of experience (not all good) in handling and learning about the bees and now have two hives.

The advice about not rushing into anything is excellent and to be remembered at all times! Nothing needs an instant reaction and to go away, have a cup of tea and a think and maybe visit this forum before doing anything, can save a lot of heartache and bee lives!

Do think about proximity to your house and where your bees will mostly forage ( probably in the opposite direction of where you think) and also think about the height of their flight path. A bank or hedge to raise them above head height when they leave the hive can be really useful but I’m sure you know that.

This forum is a great resource if you have a query or need advice if you can’t get it locally but remember, every question will produce at least two contrasting (and possibly both correct) replies but you will need to develop your own way of doing things, hopefully based on sound guidance and what suits you and your bees.

Oh, and be prepared to expand!

Back