New member with a spare site and a favour to ask

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinbiker68

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi Everyone

Apart from introducing myself a while back and lurking on the forum for some time this is my first post. I have a potential site for a member local to me for an out apiary. In return I would like to be able to learn from the member the basics of beekeeping as I am a complete newcomer. This is potentially for a long time so do not worry that I will dispense of your services once I am up to speed. I have other sites available for me to use. I have a hive but will have to get some bees, a suit and other equipment in due course.

Obviously, I am after some one to teach me the basics and offer a site for them to put a couple of hives in the country in return. The site is very near to Axminster in Devon and is quiet and rural. I would prefer a keeper who is not a newbie like myself as the whole point is that I need the experience from someone who is knowledgable. :thanks:

Martin

PS. hopefully I have come across ok and am not offending anyone, apologies if I am or have.

Welcome Martin - too far away from you to take you up on the offer, but have you contacted/joined your local BKA? they might have someone looking for a site or could mentor you

In this era its difficult to do anything without offending someone but I wish you good luck.

The only reason you have offended me is because your not close enough to me to be able to offer my help.

I agree that your local bka would have some long standing members that may be able to help you out in exchange for use of the site. At ours we always have people desperate for new apiarys.

Good luck and I hope you are successful.

Welcome Martin - too far away from you to take you up on the offer, but have you contacted/joined your local BKA? they might have someone looking for a site or could mentor you

Hi Martin

Excellent advice above.. I am in the same position as you now (just need bees) and joined the local club. Brilliant, experienced guys and gals to help out and a great course as well.

Good luck with it and we can swop notes towards the end of the season.

BH

... I have a hive but will have to get some bees, a suit and other equipment in due course.

Obviously, I am after some one to teach me the basics and offer a site for them to put a couple of hives in the country in return. ... I would prefer a keeper who is not a newbie like myself as the whole point is that I need the experience from someone who is knowledgable. :thanks:

Martin, two suggestions based on that.

1/ get a suit without further delay. Then you can actually get involved.

2/ some of the "most experienced" beekeepers are the worst teachers, because they only know what they do, and the way they have always done things. You'd be best with someone with just a couple of years of experience because they will be able to relate to the newbee's bewilderment!
It is useful even to "buddy-up" with another absolute beginner, because, in trying to explain things to each other, you will dramatically accelerate your own learning.

Have you found and read the 'start here' thread? http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14770
Doing a course and reading a couple of books is best done before getting too involved with the practicalities - especially as the swarm season (late spring into summer) is about the only time in beekeeping when extreme patience is not a virtue!
/ I suggest plural books, rather than one, because it is important to realise that there are choices and that (mostly) there is NOT 'one true way'.

You'd be best with someone with just a couple of years of experience because they will be able to relate to the newbee's bewilderment!

Agree with what you say about some, but they will have little experience, so are not necessarily any better or worse than any others of similar ilk. I prefer to give the range of options and allow the choice of what fits best. Unfortunately there are many who only do things the same way every time regardless of the local conditions at the time.

It is also a down-side of teaching the new beeks, also. Too many options can easily befuddle many, who are not so quick off the mark.

Hi Martin,

I would advise you to firstly join your local BKA where you will be able to talk to beekeepers of varying experience and differing opinions. Really I would try to find someone who is offering mentorship rather than someone interested in the prospect of a new apiary that way they are likely to be more used and willing to answering questions of a basic level as they have likely answered them before. Please remember that a mentor can only be expected to help you so much, you will have to read lots of books and go to the BKA meetings where they'll probably o through seasonal activities in the out apiary. That way you will get a balanced overview of opinions on lots of topics.

I started last year and this is what I did so I hope it has helped :)

M

Hi Martin,

I would advise you to firstly join your local BKA where you will be able to talk to beekeepers of varying experience and differing opinions. Really I would try to find someone who is offering mentorship rather than someone interested in the prospect of a new apiary that way they are likely to be more used and willing to answering questions of a basic level as they have likely answered them before. Please remember that a mentor can only be expected to help you so much, you will have to read lots of books and go to the BKA meetings where they'll probably o through seasonal activities in the out apiary. That way you will get a balanced overview of opinions on lots of topics.

I started last year and this is what I did so I hope it has helped :)

M

I agree a mentor is the way to go.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in my reply. Yes, I think you are right and I will get myself along to the local BKA pronto. Will look forward to it as I am keen to do things the right way. Will let you all know how it goes.

Regards

Martin

Latest posts

Back