New Member - Living in France

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobh

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hello there, My name is Bob Humphrey and I have been keeping bees for 3 years here in SW France. Have had limited success with a little honey produced most years. Last winter was a disaster, and I lost 4 hives which were disease free and was thought to be due to a warm February, the bees consuming all the remaining pollen (plenty of honey and sugar stores in the brood box) then 6 weeks of cold and rain - A disaster. Anyway, I found 3 new wild swarms and they have been happy in their new home, but not very productive. I put this down to small colony size. One colony lost its queen, but they soon replaced her and were back on course. The end of the honey season came and as a precaution, I treated for varoa with THYMOL blocks. At about this time, there was a magnificent show of IVY and one hive set about it with gusto, filling a super within 3 weeks.
Now this capped honey will be 'tainted' by THYMOL. Is this honey OK for human consumption? If I leave it in the supers, the wax moth will probably get to it as the bees tend to stay in the brood box during the winter.
What would you do?

Hello there, My name is Bob Humphrey and I have been keeping bees for 3 years here in SW France. Have had limited success with a little honey produced most years. Last winter was a disaster, and I lost 4 hives which were disease free and was thought to be due to a warm February, the bees consuming all the remaining pollen (plenty of honey and sugar stores in the brood box) then 6 weeks of cold and rain - A disaster. Anyway, I found 3 new wild swarms and they have been happy in their new home, but not very productive. I put this down to small colony size. One colony lost its queen, but they soon replaced her and were back on course. The end of the honey season came and as a precaution, I treated for varoa with THYMOL blocks. At about this time, there was a magnificent show of IVY and one hive set about it with gusto, filling a super within 3 weeks.
Now this capped honey will be 'tainted' by THYMOL. Is this honey OK for human consumption? If I leave it in the supers, the wax moth will probably get to it as the bees tend to stay in the brood box during the winter.
What would you do?
First Welcome to the forum
Honey tainted by thymol is not fit for human consumption but fine for bees, put the super under your brood box and the bees will sort it out and remove the super next spring. Wet supers (supers with honey in them) will not attract wax moth like dry supers

Yes, welcome :)
Ivy honey is rank anyway so I doubt the thymol will have tainted it much. It wouldnt be fit for sale but ok for home consumption, if you're a masochist or have very odd taste in honey.
Under the brood box would probably see the super emptied and ready for re using next season.

Thanks

Thanks for the speedy reply. They didn't teach us that one at bee school.
Bob

Thanks for the speedy reply. They didn't teach us that one at bee school.
Bob
No problem bobh and anything else feel free to ask as this place is the best beekeeping school in the world as we have some very experienced and international beekeepers who debate and conclude on various problems and situations.

we have some very experienced and international beekeepers who debate and conclude on various problems and situations.

In other words we argue like schoolkids over the last gobstopper in the tuck shop!

Welcome - it's a good place to be but remember - always carry a generous pinch of salt when you come on here!

Welcome to the forum. Will leave it to the more experienced to suggest solutions to the issues you raise. Good luck!

Beekeeping association in SW France

If you are anywhere near Miramont in Lot et Garonne (47), we have a beekeeping association which is mainly English-speaking and run along similar lines to those of the BBKA - and you would be very welcome to join us.
Bridget

Welcome...

Welcome from the South of the Vienne

If you are anywhere near Miramont in Lot et Garonne (47), we have a beekeeping association which is mainly English-speaking and run along similar lines to those of the BBKA - and you would be very welcome to join us.
Bridget

:welcome:

not worthy

Invite

Thanks for the invite to your group but I think you are about 2 hours drive away.
Bob H

Latest posts

Back