New laying queen no eggs yet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repwoc

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>6
I introduced a home-grown laying queen to what was my q- cell starter colony. I left the plastic tab of the butler cage intact for a couple of days, then it took them over a week to release her (my home made fondant is a little hard I think). The new queen is still present and walking the frames a week later, but there are as yet no eggs.

I did add a couple of frames of BIAS a few days ago to keep them going. They haven't drawn any QCs on these.

There is plenty of laying space with several frames empty and polished ready for her to lay in.

I've never known a queen take so long to get going. How long should I give her before trying a different mated queen?

Oh and the blue paint has almost worn off again after I re-marked her a few days ago.

Well, maybe she is not in peak condition yet. If there is polished cells and they did not draw QCs they are both good signs. Perhaps you missed the eggs - easily done.

I don't know if there is something going on this year regarding marked queens. I've had the same with green and red queens as well. The red queen began the season still sporting a part of her spot, the same as she was all last year. Re marked her and they have removed it. Well marked green queens now left with little more than a faint mark. As yet the blue has remained intact.
Never had it before.

I was advised to try a TOMO pen in another thread instead of the POSCA ones I normally use. Got one on order but not arrived yet. Hopefully it won't wear off so quickly.

I was advised to try a TOMO pen in another thread instead of the POSCA ones I normally use. Got one on order but not arrived yet. Hopefully it won't wear off so quickly.

TOMA marker (oil based)

Success!

I decided to change the queen. I've a few mated queens in Kielers so I swapped one of those for the non-laying mated queen (ie hive queen -> Kieler, Kieler queen -> hive).

I left them both in cages for a couple of days. Yesterday I assessed the situation - the hive bees seemed to be completely relaxed about the queen in the cage so I released her onto a frame and watched closely for a few minutes. There was a lot of grooming and feeding but no aggression so I closed up.

I checked briefly today - found her on the second frame in surrounded by eggs. And they hadn't removed her marking either.

So I guess they just didn't like the first queen I offered them, but not enough to warrant bumping her off. I'll see in the next few days if she starts laying in the Kieler.

Does that happen with bees? She was laying before I introduced her to the hive.

Back