New kid on the block!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to be ok,needs a lot of work but hey dont we all,meant to say yours hives look fab, are you allowed to say where you got them?

I bought them of a chap called Peter from this forum. His user name is Hivemaker. PM him and let him know you are interested. He is very helpful and full of advice. I'm sure he will pass his phone number on to you.

Cliff

are they pine? looks heavy

Thanks ,am not even sure i am using this forum properly,have just had to ask my son what pm meant doh, computer wizz i am not,
carol

wonder what source the cedar is, I am sure it will dry out in time no doubt - fresh cedar can be heavy until it drys out

Welcome to the forum Cliff and Newbeee,hope you will find it very imformative for your new hobby of beekeeping,plenty of friendly folks on here to help you with advise.
Jezd
The cedar is dry and very light,the hives are NOT made from green wet cedar.

Last edited:
Newbeee

if you have not joined the local BKA do so it provides public liability
insurance to members (do check).
Leicester Allotment socieys require £5 million cover

Cliff and Newbeee, welcome to the forum.
Cliff, great choice of hives, and maker!!

wonder what source the cedar is, I am sure it will dry out in time no doubt - fresh cedar can be heavy until it drys out

i am in the process of buying an hive of pete and he dries all his own cedar before builds
he really knows what he is doing :cheers2:

have been given the wink from one of the older plot holders that putting an empty hive on my plot is a very good idea, he obviously knows something i dont,am going to try a smiley now!!!:party:

Well done newbee set up your hive as a bait hive and you never know you may well be a beekeeper sooner rather than later.

Welcome, Cliffdale & Newbee :hat:

I am just starting my second season, this forum has so much information it's untrue, with out it I would be struggling.

Good luck with your bees:svengo:

John D

have been given the wink from one of the older plot holders that putting an empty hive on my plot is a very good idea, he obviously knows something i dont,am going to try a smiley now!!!:party:

yes, good idea, but to improve your chances you can add old combe, but i expect as you have no bees thats a no no

so torch the inside of the new hive with a blow torch ( smells like an old hive) mix a few drops of lemon grass oil with melted wax foundation and brush onto inside of hive ( again old hive smell)

then prepare three frames with half a sheet of good fresh foundation diagonally cut ( ie half the frame empty) amd arrange them left ,right, left

place the hive with the entrnace block in ,facing south about 3 to 4 ft off the ground...from the beginning of april

30% chance of bees swarm finding it

Why torch the hive? Bees in nature would not have a burnt hole.

Why cut the foundation. Use full sheets for goodness sake. Bottom side is highly liable to warp and or be drone.

PH

Why torch the hive? Bees in nature would not have a burnt hole.

Why cut the foundation. Use full sheets for goodness sake. Bottom side is highly liable to warp and or be drone.

PH

diagonal foundation is straight from Cushman web site,

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/swarmreceiver.html#diagonal

bees follow an edge to top of hive bar and dont build wild comb else where and like contact when first swarming, altenative is to cut all corner out of the foundation to allow contact, but i have found cushman diagonal opposed half foundation works better...or use your old comb

Torching one of those cthings passed down from "grandad" and you are right, problably not necessary but Thornes use to say, burn paper in the new hive, but why again, ?

perhaps lighting struck hollow tree, but i who knows?

and perhaps i had better not burn paper in my new poly hive i am trialling

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back