New book,by John Harding.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....Dogs poop in alignment with Earth's magnetic field, study finds.

Dogs use the Earth's magnetic field when they're relieving themselves. Not only that, but canines choose to do so in a north-south axis, a new study published in the journal Frontiers in Zoology says.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown...t-with-earths-magnetic-field-study-finds.html.

Several mammalian species spontaneously align their body axis with respect to the Earth’s
magnetic field (MF) lines in diverse behavioral contexts. Magnetic alignment is a suitable
paradigm to scan for the occurrence of magnetosensitivity across animal taxa with the
heuristic potential to contribute to the understanding of the mechanism of magnetoreception
and identify further functions of magnetosensation apart from navigation. With this in mind
we searched for signs of magnetic alignment in dogs. We measured the direction of the body
axis in 70 dogs of 37 breeds during defecation (1,893 observations) and urination (5,582
observations) over a two-year period. After complete sampling, we sorted the data according
to the geomagnetic conditions prevailing during the respective sampling periods. Relative
declination and intensity changes of the MF during the respective dog walks were calculated
from daily magnetograms. Directional preferences of dogs under different MF conditions
were analyzed and tested by means of circular statistics.
Results
Dogs preferred to excrete with the body being aligned along the North–south axis under calm
MF conditions. This directional behavior was abolished under Unstable MF. The best
predictor of the behavioral switch was the rate of change in declination, i.e., polar orientation
of the MF.
Conclusions....

http://www.frontiersinzoology.com/content/pdf/1742-9994-10-80.pdf

...........For now I will be willing to answer questions as long as it relates to beekeeping and is not scientific.

I really do not care whether it is this or that all I know is it works. It has taken a very long time to tell you.

Try it, its free.

John Harding

Hi John

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I wondered how you were able to find the "lines" on your property.

Hi John

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I wondered how you were able to find the "lines" on your property.

Sadly, John has not been around here for nearly two years .... his book is an interesting if poorly edited (and in places confusing) read though.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/HOLISTIC-Way-Saving-Honeybee/dp/190484670X/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388877734&sr=1-11&keywords=john+harding"]An HOLISTIC Way In Saving The "Honeybee": Amazon.co.uk: John Harding: Books[/ame]

More expensive on ebay but someone on here may be prepared to sell their copy - I passed mine on I'm afraid.

I had always thought that dowsing was a gift only for some (the forked hazel twig attempts were a failure in my youth). But when I tried bent coat hangers through pen barrels, I was heartened, but not sure until I walked very slowly down a hospital corridor (no draughts, empty and totally flat) and found the drains. Now it seems simple.

I had always thought that dowsing was a gift only for some (the forked hazel twig attempts were a failure in my youth). But when I tried bent coat hangers through pen barrels, I was heartened, but not sure until I walked very slowly down a hospital corridor (no draughts, empty and totally flat) and found the drains. Now it seems simple.

I was a complete sceptic until I tried it ... and there is nothing that prepares you for the rods moving on their own ...

I have worked with several builders who routinely used dowsing as a means of discovering pipes and drains, quite matter of fact, nothing out of the ordinary and generally very accurate. I'm not much cop at it myself though, unfortunately :(

A 1948 study tested 58 dowsers' ability to detect water. None of them was more reliable than chance.[16] A 1979 review examined many controlled studies of dowsing for water, and found that none of them showed better than chance results.[5] A 2006 study of grave dowsing in Iowa reviewed 14 published studies and determined that none of them correctly predicted the location of human burials, and simple scientific experiments demonstrated the fundamental principles commonly used to explain grave dowsing were incorrect.[17]

More recently a study[18] was undertaken in Kassel, Germany, under the direction of the Gesellschaft zur Wissenschaftlichen Untersuchung von Parawissenschaften (GWUP) [Society for the Scientific Investigation of the Parasciences]. The three-day test of some 30 dowsers involved plastic pipes through which water flow could be controlled and directed. The pipes were buried 50 centimeters under a level field, the position of each marked on the surface with a colored strip. The dowsers had to tell whether water was running through each pipe. All the dowsers signed a statement agreeing this was a fair test of their abilities and that they expected a 100 percent success rate. However, the results were no better than chance.

thank you wikipedia

Thank you wikipedia

Not everything can be explained by scientific study ... but I understand your position as a scientist.

Despite numerous dissenters I have witnessed dowsing and seen the results ... I've also seen elephants searching for water on what appears to be a totally dry river bed - and finding it. We don't know how they manage this .... is it smell, instinct, hearing, retained or inherited memory or perhaps just plain good luck ?

Perhaps there are some people in the world that retain vestiges of long lost senses from the days when humans were nearer to the animal kingdom and it is these senses, not the divining rods, that bring success to some dowsers ?

I really don't know ... works for me though !

This relates not to explanation but detection of the existence of a phenomena.

An explanation needs to have a phenomena that is capable of being distinguished from chance.

Pedantic but true .... so if you walked along a dry river bed but could not (with your abilities and senses) detect any sign of water but followed an elephant who detected it then you would accept that the elephant had some means at their disposal for divination ?

So, if elephants can do it ... why not some humans ?

Smaller ears?

Pedantic but true .... so if you walked along a dry river bed but could not (with your abilities and senses) detect any sign of water but followed an elephant who detected it then you would accept that the elephant had some means at their disposal for divination ?

So, if elephants can do it ... why not some humans ?

only if elephant can do it repeatably to be distinguishable from chance
and you can be sure the Elephant are not detecting it with more conventional senses, e.g. smell , hearing . Note an elephant has amuch more acute sense of smell and can hear sounds outside the frequency range of humans. reputed to be able to smell water from 12 miles away...

Animals can do some pretty amazing sensory stuff,
Seeing polarized light, spotting rain on the horizon, inbuilt magnetic compass, seeing the ultraviolet seeing the infra -red... and thats just bees
but all of it is capable of being distinguished from chance.

Last edited:
Animals can do some pretty amazing sensory stuff,
Seeing polarized light, spotting rain on the horizon, inbuilt magnetic compass, seeing the ultraviolet seeing the infra -red... and thats just bees but all of it is capable of being distinguished from chance.

That is the point, with regards to bees.

Last edited:
I'll wait for the film to come out.

I am not really interested in "proving" how dowsing works I am happy to accept that it just "is".
I'm happy to accept the "evidence" of my own experience and leave it at that.

Latest posts

Back