New beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davew

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
HI

Im new to bee keeping. Ive got someone who is helping me but have no bee yet although I have a 14 12 national hive and a place to put it. I am assuming it is too late in the year to start stocking with bees.

hello :) unless you can pick up a late swarm (free bees) i think you would be best to wait till next spring, good luck and welcome :seeya:

:iagree:

You may find it more valuable to spend the winter reading beekeeping books, and perhaps attending the meeting of your local beekeeping group, where you will gain a great deal of useful information.

You may find it more valuable to spend the winter reading beekeeping books, and perhaps attending the meeting of your local beekeeping group, where you will gain a great deal of useful information.

:iagree: and welcome to the forum :)

And welcome from me.

I was in the same position as you 12 months ago.
I found it really frustrating - particularly as the spring was so cr*p and I had to wait till mid-May to get my nuc.

However, it kept me reading the books, attending the BKA when I could, and mooching round this Forum. When I eventually did get my bees, although the first solo inspections were scary, I felt I was sufficiently well-grounded to be safe for the bees.

And 15 weeks after getting them, I got 125lbs of honey!

Well worth it.

Enjoy.

Dusty

Hello and welcome. Patience is something I have had to learn when dealing with bees. Hopefully by the time spring comes your patience will pay off as you will be more informed and ready for your bees.

Thanks for all your replys. Good tip on reading the books. Will keep you posted on my endevours.bee-smillie

bee-smillie

Welcome, lots of good advice here, do get yourself over to your local BKA meetings. The more mental preparation you can do over the winter the better. If the BKA run a practical training session, take advantage of that early next year. It makes up for not having your own bees quite yet, and gives you lots of opportunity to see how the experienced guys do things.

And 15 weeks after getting them, I got 125lbs of honey!

How many hives did yo start with ?

I hope to get my first bees in the spring and read somewhere that it is best to start with 2 hives ... so you can compare everything as you go along.

Well, I started with just the one, intending to get a second.

To have a couple on the go is really good - but it's quite anxiety providing, starting beekeeping, and I wanted to be sure I could do it before getting the second

Then I got sidetracked into starting a project on the roof of Manchester Cathedral. So I didn't start the second of my own. All that honey was from the one hive.

I guess winter and spring will be the testing time for me.

By this time next year, I hope to have 2 of my own and 4 at the Cathedral.

Dusty

Latest posts

Back