new Asian Hornet sighting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoosling

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-37550433

Another sighting of an Asian hornet in the North Mendips, keep a good look out all close beekeepers, esp to everyone here in the Mendips be vigilant.
uk-england-bristol-37550433http:

Last edited:
I've looked at the trap on the NBU website and it uses epoxy coated wire Varroa floor mesh.
Where do I buy this from ? Had no success on Google
or is there an alterative to use ? Please help.

you may feel less flipant if it was closer to your bees, our assoc is finding out facts and have sent out messages to all members, better to be on the lookout than smug.

I've looked at the trap on the NBU website and it uses epoxy coated wire Varroa floor mesh.
Where do I buy this from ? Had no success on Google
or is there an alterative to use ? Please help.

Must be on Fleabay by now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-37550433

Another sighting of an Asian hornet in the North Mendips, keep a good look out all close beekeepers, esp to everyone here in the Mendips be vigilant.
uk-england-bristol-37550433http:

Thank you for this info, good job someone is keeping a keen eye out, so that is two they have found is this area now.

you may feel less flipant if it was closer to your bees, our assoc is finding out facts and have sent out messages to all members, better to be on the lookout than smug.

Sorry but I'm from the generation who were at school (before the days of political correctness) & remember the story of the boy who cried wolf? :willy_nilly:

Confirmed sightings are what we need.
Not Journalistic excitement!

Last edited:
Just been on our regional news about it...they said it was found at a secret location....so obviously they want to be secretive about things, easy to be secretive, just don't tell them anything you may know either.

Sorry but I'm from the generation who were at school (before the days of political correctness) & remember the story of the boy who cried wolf? :willy_nilly:

I'm also from that generation but PARANOID ABOUT MY BEES!!!!!!

They will be all over, most none bee keeping folk may have been seeing them all year and thought nothing about until now when they have seen pictures and heard it on the news, get the tennis rackets ready for next year i say, because it is going to be emotional, UNLESS we get a good old proper winter.

They will be all over, most none bee keeping folk may have been seeing them all year and thought nothing about until now when they have seen pictures and heard it on the news, get the tennis rackets ready for next year i say, because it is going to be emotional, UNLESS we get a good old proper winter.

"Good old proper winter" wont matter, we find a mild one actually does more damage because they dont go properly dormant and often are out and about. come spring, their already knackered!

And even if they weren't, they wouldn't be able to get established here as they won't find enough food.

Unless they eat my mosquitos, pity they don't fly at night!

Last edited:
Thank you for this info, good job someone is keeping a keen eye out, so that is two they have found is this area now.

I'm a bit confused - does "Another sighting of an Asian hornet in the North Mendips" mean "Another sighting of an Asian hornet, this time in the North Mendips" or does it mean "Sighting of a second Asian hornet in the North Mendips following the first sighting earlier today in the same area"?

Is this thread about one Asian Hornet about which I've had an email from the NBU?

CVB

I'm a bit confused - does "Another sighting of an Asian hornet in the North Mendips" mean "Another sighting of an Asian hornet, this time in the North Mendips" or does it mean "Sighting of a second Asian hornet in the North Mendips following the first sighting earlier today in the same area"?

Who knows, the actual location is a secret, could be in wonderland along with Alice.

Move up move up, no room, no room....nosense, there is plenty of room.

Just been on our regional news about it...they said it was found at a secret location....so obviously they want to be secretive about things, easy to be secretive, just don't tell them anything you may know either.

Probably want to check the nest for oxalic residues.....

Latest posts

Back